Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
voltbit
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 7

G50-70 HD to FHD upgrade

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade the display of my laptop from HD to FHD and I thought that I should ask here first if this particular display model has been tried on a g50 series before.

The screen I plan to use is: 

LP156WF1(TP)(B1)

Laptop: G50-70 

Model number: 20351

I have already read these topics:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Upgrading-screen-from-HD-to-FHD-in-G50-...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y580-Display/m-p/1166139/highlight/true#M62542

and several others, but nobody used the same combination of system and display. I have also searched for the  display models that worked in past upgrades but they are either not available or too expensive due to shipment costs. The LP156WF1(TP)(B1) is right now the only option.

Thanks,

Andrei

Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: G50-70 HD to FHD upgrade

If you lack the right tools it may not be adviseable to upgrade the LCD unit, as doing so will invalidate your warranty options for repair if needed.

1. Make sure you have the right tools
  2. Use an anti-static mat
  3. Take pictures (helpful in reasembly)
  4. Use containers to hold screws, small parts

Use care in removing the original LCD panel, you may need to reuse it.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
voltbit
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 7

Hello,

In the meantime I have ordered a b156HAN01.1 but the seller sent me a compatible display Smiley Sad . So I've got a LP156WF4-SPB1

http://www.panelook.com/LP156WF4-SPB1_LG%20Display_15.6_LCM_overview_17533.html

Fortunately it works, I thought that someone might find this helpful since this dispay model seems to be pretty common. It costed about 90$. It is more pleasant that the original screen, especially in the evenings, also it has a matte finish so the dust is not so visible and there is less reflection. Some downsides:

- the battery life has been reduced by half (using linux with power optimizations, before the upgrade I could get up to 3h of battery life out of my 2 year laptop, now it is down to 1,5h)

- the laptop gets a bit warm, before the upgrade it was not warm at all

- the screen is not as bright as the original, I need to keep the backlight at ~80% for decent views during the day compared to 30% on the original

- there is still quite a bit of reflected light although it is definitely not as annoying as seing my face while writing code or reading wikis

yener90
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 7

Thank you, the small screen got to my nerves. With your help i managed to install full hd screen, which is working perfectly Smiley Happy

filvi
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 7

Hey mate thanks for the post in forum I wish I could change my LCD too can you give me some advice to get started with said information to know what's important in order to buy a product compatible without frying my G5070? Thanks in advance
CCLDB
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 7

I have the same model G50-70 20351, just want to ask that you didn't have to change the eDP cable? Thanks!

CCLDB
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 7

I just want to post back that no cable change needed. B156HAN01.1 (matte screen) working perfectly. 

Top Kudoed Authors