Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AGuy1
Paper Tape
Views: 488
Message 1 of 3

G50-70 Overheating

Every time the secondary r5 230m GPU kicks in, meaning, every time I run ANY kind of game, or 3d graphic program, the card jumps from 40C to 85 in a couple of seconds and after a minute or so the whole laptop shuts down, indicating overheating. 

Before you suggest the general steps, I've done them. I've extensively cleaned the fan and the heatsink. I've checked the power supply. I don't have a cooling pad, I've installed the latest drivers,etc. The laptop is only 2 years old,and barely used.Its illogical to start overheating from nothing out of the blue when it hasn't even been used extencively for gaming or otherwise.

ranzo
What's DOS?
Views: 162
Message 2 of 3

Re: G50-70 Overheating

my lenovo G 50-80 is 2 year old.initially fan started noising without heating but now laptop has started to heat.i cleaned laptop and fan but heating issue is still there.do i need to replace fan?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 145
Message 3 of 3

Re: G50-70 Overheating

Hello there, ranzo! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

Based on what you have explained, it looks like the heat sink is malfunctioning, you can try replacing the heat sink the laptop and test it again. You can check the compatible heat sink in the hardware maintenance manual https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g_z_50_series_hmm.pdf?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20... (see page 79 - Number: 7) and you can check the steps on how to replace the heat sink on the page 57. 

In addition, you may want to consider in replacing the fan and you can also get the part number from hardware maintenance manual (look for number 8). For the steps on how to replace the fan, you can go to the page 42 of the hardware maintenance manual. Let us know if you have any other concern. 

Regards!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors