Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
u_k_v
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,721
Message 1 of 4

G50-70 - Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter problem

I have never come across such a waste notebook and terrible customer assistance. I bought this G50-70 Ideapad notebook owing to my previous good experience with ThinkPad notebook. but I never expected this is such worse. first and foremost my keypad has gone within 2 days. then DVD drive was stuck. thereafter back cover broken and detached. all I suffered and made all the fix with extra cost. after one year the HDD starts making the noise like those I PCs of the 1990s.

now after upgrading to win 10 the trouble again increased. I have never connected to any wifi without keep trying trying trying for more than 15-20 minutes. if this network adapter is not compatible win 10 then why Lenovo allows upgradations to 10. I'm now in my office. very near to my router. the laptop shows all the wifi networks even in the coffee shop away. but not my nearby router. by fortune, if it shows and I try to connect it shows "can't connect to this network" well known and the adapter turns off for a while. what is happening to a well-known company like this? I have uninstalled the driver, reinstalled new from Lenovo site.still the same. the comedy is that Lenovo site provided intel drive for wifi for my laptop. when I extract and install it shows not compatible. nothing to do but I'm laughing, I wish to break away this notebook before any Lenovo shop. unfortunately, im not getting that also. Guys, if any of you come across this problem, please help me ... 

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

SeniorGuru
Views: 6,691
Message 2 of 4

Re: G50-70 - Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter problem

Thinkpad notebooks are the "Buisness" line of Lenovo and are much more robust because of that fact alone.  They are expected to survive daily "road trips" to and from work, connect to VLAN and other corportate networking situations (active directory servers, Exchange servers, etc...) without problems.

Now - having said that...  When I consult with my own clients on technology and how to puchase, I will always recommend that they purchase a notebook for work, or travel from the "business" division of their chosen manufacture, then opt for warranty that includes international support and "accidental damage" protection.  If they are using one for home or for school, then it is a "residential" model, with a great backpack or case to keep it in.  The reasoning behind this is simple... the residential notebooks are rarely designed to outlast their low end warranty term of service, usually about a year or so, and the on hand spare parts are not kept past the three year mark.  Why?  Simple math, and Moore's Law of computing.  With technology advancing quickly, last year's cutting edge notebook becomes this year's paperweight.  Consumers purhcase new notebooks about every eighteen months on average, looking for improvements in performance, connectivity and visual excitement (games, entertainment).

In your case - spend a bit more and get a Thinkpad, one that has the options you need, and get the "Accidental Protection" plan type of warranty.  Seeing as you are a bit tougher on notebooks (broken keyboard, damaged case) a tough Thinkpad would be a better option than a residental model.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
u_k_v
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,676
Message 3 of 4

I totally agree with you, it was my mistake I bought this IdeaPad in place of ThinkPad. but now I can't throw it away, its an i7,500GB, 2GB graphics process notebook. at least they should provide a contact email address to reach them. directly or by any means.they provide even chat facility only for the US. They why they selling goods for rest of the world.  I still can't believe that they provide a driver for the same configuration of my laptop and when I install, the system says non-compatible.When I tried Qualcomm Atheros website they say once their products are fit in other systems, then they have no role even in the driver side. If u come across any solution, please share it with me. Now my situation is in such a way that I need to buy a new laptop for getting wifi.Thanks a lot.

SeniorGuru
Views: 6,654
Message 4 of 4

WiFi chipsets are a dime a dozen, and usually just one part of a "WiFi" card now days... Most of the time there are Bluetooth options and much more bundled together, and the vendor supports with drivers.

IE - Atheros chips are used in Samsung, LG and Intel branded WiFi cards, but no drivers on Atheros site for such.

Now on to the last point... If the vendor card was not designed to be OS independant then it may not work correctly with Windows 10. IE - a card designed or "built for" Windows 7 / 8 will not always work correctly with Windows 10 and may not work at all under Linux based OS.

I would suggest looking under the support tab for this site, plug in your notebook model number and download the Maintenance Guide for it. In that guide, near the end you will find a "parts list" that contains the approved and supported WiFi cards that work with your system. I usually go with Intel cards, they seem to be the most stable, and compatible of the bunch.

You can usually find one on eBay for a great price, just make sure it is a Lenovo branded part.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors