cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xhunter
Paper Tape
Views: 1,119
Message 1 of 5

G50-70 - The speed of processor x in group x is being limited by system firmware

Hello,

I have a Lenovo G50-70 Core i5 laptop,

I started getting these events in windows 8.1 (factory installed) usually after the system goes into idle for a while (edit: and at every computer startup):

The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

I upgraded my bios to the latest v32:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-G-Series-laptops/G50-70-Noteboo...

and then upgraded to windows 10,

then I did a clean installation of windows 10 with no lenovo software, just microsoft auto installed all the drivers.

the PC barely does anything usually, the CPU temps are around 36-39 (HWiNFO), and the laptop is always cool.

but to my surprise, the errors started coming back.

I read this error has something to do with Intel SpeedStep or some power managment config in BIOS, but the BIOS is very minimal and has no options even remotely related to those.

what's going on? how can I fix this?-

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

xhunter
Paper Tape
Views: 1,060
Message 2 of 5

Re: G50-70 - The speed of processor x in group x is being limited by system firmware

reinstalled another clean windows 10, after the first start even before updates and drivers get installed, no internet, these errors started showing up on every start.

any ideas?

Chefry22
Token Ring
Views: 1,031
Message 3 of 5

Re: G50-70 - The speed of processor x in group x is being limited by system firmware

I think it has to do with the Lenovo ACPI driver which is very outdated (About 1 year old). I tried uninstalling it, and the issue appears to happen less often.

Many people here with different laptops are having the exact same problem, and it seems that Lenovo doesn't care.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,025
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Are you only seeing this in the event log, or are there other symptoms of concern?

I've seen similar event log entries on many systems in the past.  It was just noisy logging of normal SpeedStep behavior.  Idle cores were being throttled appropriately as a power-saving measure.

You refer to it as a "problem".  Do you have other reason to think something is amiss?

[edit] How are the events being flagged?  Information, warning, error, something else?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Chefry22
Token Ring
Views: 1,018
Message 5 of 5

It's more than just noisy logging, it literally caps performance.

http://imgur.com/P0cuIwC

I have a G40-80.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors