Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joolly
Paper Tape
Views: 131
Message 1 of 2

G50-80 - FIBRE OPTICS Connection problem

Hi Guys,

I have a G50 80 Laptop and have just had Fibre Optics intalled in my house,  the powerful Wi-Fi has 2 outputs, a normal 100mbs and a super "plus" output of 300mbs....great.  All my other bits of equipment;  phones, pads, kindles, all contect to the super fast "plus" output,   HOWEVER,  the G50 80 will not contect to this, only to the slower 100mbs output.  I have been told that I have to change something on the laptop to increase something to 1 gb, I've looked everywhere on my system but have found no clues to what I have to do.   Anyone got any suggestions please,  would be very grateful for some help.

Mod's Edit: Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue and moved post to the proper forum.

SeniorGuru
Views: 95
Message 2 of 2

Re: G50-80 - FIBRE OPTICS Connection problem

@joolly wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have a G50 80 Laptop and have just had Fibre Optics intalled in my house,  the powerful Wi-Fi has 2 outputs, a normal 100mbs and a super "plus" output of 300mbs....great.  All my other bits of equipment;  phones, pads, kindles, all contect to the super fast "plus" output,   HOWEVER,  the G50 80 will not contect to this, only to the slower 100mbs output.  I have been told that I have to change something on the laptop to increase something to 1 gb, I've looked everywhere on my system but have found no clues to what I have to do.   Anyone got any suggestions please,  would be very grateful for some help.

Mod's Edit: Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue and moved post to the proper forum.

Here in Oregon, where I live we have Frontier Communications as a provider for FiOS (Fiber Optic Communictations) and Frontier's equipment included a Wireless Router that came with WIreless N, and four hardwired ports that are 10/100/1000BaseT ethernet ports (Gigbit Networking Ports).

For Gigabit networking, you will need a good CAT5E or CAT6 patch cord to connect to the router.  If you are using a known good cable that allows other devices to connect at Gigabit speeds then we can move on to the computer. 

Your notebook needs to have a Gigabit ethernet capable card installed.  From what I can see of your notebook in the maintenance manual, your ethernet port is soldered onto the system board, so to see what you have installed you can look into device manager and find it listed under network adapters.  Right click on the network adapter itself and go to properties, then click on advanced tab, in properties window scroll to Speed & Duplex, value should be set to Auto Negotiation.  This will allow the adapter to automatically choose the right (best) speed of connection and whether full or half duplex is supported.  On the details tab, you can chose the property of Hardware Ids and it will show you the vender strings for the exact hardware that is installed.  Right click on the longest string value, copy then past into your response for us to look into it.

Click OK and close out the device manager, and then restart the notebook.  Once restarted, check to see if the connection has improved and let us know.

Good luck

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors