cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sid12sam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 536
Message 1 of 3

G50-80 - Graphics card for Lenovo model 80E502UKIN, 16 GB systems RAM, AMD Radeon R5 with 2 GB RAM

Sketchup Pro S/W runs very slow on Radeon R5 card. Can I remove this card and add NVIDIA GEForce GTX1050 or 1080 graphics card instead?

Would appreciate a quick response.

Mod's Edit: Additional system model information added to the Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

SeniorGuru
Views: 475
Message 2 of 3

Re: G50-80 - Graphics card for Lenovo model 80E502UKIN, 16 GB systems RAM, AMD Radeon R5 with 2 GB R

I do not see an option to replace the graphics card, nor an upgrade path to the CPU in the maintenance manual. This usually will indicate the CPU is soldered to the motherboard and the GPU is either on the CPU die (Intel HD graphics or AMD's APU graphics).

To change out your graphics card / CPU to a intel / nVidia option will require a complete system board change, and usually this is more expensive than purchasing a new, more capable notebook.

If you are doing a lot of graphics, drawings and such - you may find an i7 notebook with dedicated card to be a better fit than one with a integrated video solution.

In this particular situation, you could re-purpose this G50-80 (give it to a family member perhaps) and purchase a better notebook to work on your projects.  I would suggest looking into the Thinkpad P51 lineup - it carries the nVidia Quadro M2200 card which is a much better fit for drawing, rendering and ray-tracing projects IMO...

Cheers.
CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
BlazeTheRipper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 456
Message 3 of 3

Re: G50-80 - Graphics card for Lenovo model 80E502UKIN, 16 GB systems RAM, AMD Radeon R5 with 2 GB R

LOL, this is the 3rd time i am writing this

No, you can not modify a laptop gpu even if they include a desktop size card as most of them are designed to be smaller and can potentially damage the motherboard

The best thing you can do right now is either use a thunderbolt port or the expresscard port to use desktop Graphic cards in an eGPU configuration.

As i have one of these laptops i am sure there is no thunderbolt port on them but i think there is an expresscard slot at one side which you can use to make a DIY eGPU configuration,  just search about "expresscard eGPU" in the internet and you will get step by step information about it.

Though i will warn you guys that if any damage happens to the port or the motherboard, then your warranty will get void.

Good Luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors