Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jean49
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,633
Message 1 of 11

G500 - this is not a valid windows machine?

I have a lenovo g500 which i am having problems with .. i have just recived a message 

this is not a valid windows machine.

please help

Admin note; post moved to start new discussion, subject edited appropriately.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,588
Message 2 of 11

Re: G500 - this is not a valid windows machine?

This sounds like the Windows ID key was deleted from BIOS.  You may need to contact Microsoft Support to obtian a replacement Key for your Windows Distirbution.  Try booting from a Linux DVD (Live DVD) to see if the computer works as it should.

If hardware is working under Linux / Windows but you get this message it means the Windows Key has been lost or compromised.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
jean49
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,580
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the help
SeniorGuru
Views: 3,555
Message 4 of 11

No worries.... Also - the Trusted Platform Module may have lost its data as well, this can be fixed by the Windows Key replacement process most of the time.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
ZetallicA
Paper Tape
Views: 2,630
Message 5 of 11

this is not the solution..
SeniorGuru
Views: 2,611
Message 6 of 11

@ZetallicA wrote:
this is not the solution..

This is a peer to peer forum, with others providing helpful suggestions and possible or potential work around methods to problems reported by other members.  As such, the answers provided are not absolute, nor perfect for every situation.

If your notebook or computer is having a similar problem, we would need more detailed information to move forward.

CB

ZetallicA
Paper Tape
Views: 2,605
Message 7 of 11

Yes , you're correct.
my computer have the same issues.
I got a hold on the IBM Hardware Maintenance Diskette and after many failed tries .. I was able to read and write UUID-serial-etc.. .
when I reboot the computers multiple times, sometimes it will lose all the info again (UUID all in fffffff. )
I want to:
- locate and reflash the EEPROM and the BIOS chips. maybe via using an SPI programmer
- if that fails (due to a physical damage) , then I want to replace the chips (where can I buy them?)

https://imgur.com/a/Ny7Uc
SeniorGuru
Views: 2,603
Message 8 of 11

In most notebook computers the EEPROM is not socketed for removal / replacement. This is mostly due to space restrictions imposed by thin and lightweight designs that have become the norm, much to my regret. I do miss the older more durable designs.... If not socketed, then it requires a solder removal tool, and a very steady hand. Most often, the process of removal usually causes more damage to the main system board and will result in a very costly paper weight.

If you are covered under warranty, the best route to resolve this type of issue is to have the system board replaced, as it will carry updated ROM bios and not need to be re-flashed.

Also - going forward with EEPROM replacement usually will void the warranty (if present) as this is not considered to be a FRU or CRU item.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,602
Message 9 of 11

Also - in the linked photos, some of the other SMD's are showing damage, indicating some other issues may be also causing the system problems you are reporting.

CB

ZetallicA
Paper Tape
Views: 2,596
Message 10 of 11

indeed.
I want to fix this issue myself.
any comprehensible guidance on how to reprogram or to replace the damaged chip? (tools, probes, connectors, etc..)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors