Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

35 Posts

09-02-2013

India

59 Signins

425 Page Views

• Views: 425
  • Message 1 of 12

G500 windows 8 freezes

2013-09-02, 17:32 PM

dear community members,

i purchased g500 laptop two months back with windows 8 installed

Intel i5 processor, 8GB ram, 500GB hard disk

the laptop frequently hangs/freezes with only 2-3 applications running such as Google chrome+media player, chrome+ms word+ms powerpoint.

when it freezes, no option/task manager is accessible only the movement of cursor happens and it remains in its state , for which i have to forcibly power off the machine.

this happens about 2-3 times a day.

1. i checked the device manager which had a video controller problem for which i updated using the driver., still the problem is there

2. when i check the event viewer it shows Critical error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and this is there for each time the notebook froze.

kindly help me

thanks

Answer
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737

Re: G500 windows 8 freezes

2013-09-04, 23:24 PM

hi naman11,

Booting in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking isolates non-microsoft services/apps that's most likely causing the computer to freeze up. I recommended you give this a shot if the freezing occurs within the first few minutes of using the machine. (see this guide on how to boot into Safe Mode / Safe Mode with Networking)

If hybrid sleep / hibernate is ON and the freezing issue occurs mostly happens after waking the computer from sleep/hibernate , the OS is most likely having problems reading the hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) which is stored on the HDD. Chances are, there's a bad sector on the HDD that's causing this. Try to install HD Tune and run an error scan on the drive.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(11)
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Message 2 of 12

2013-09-02, 22:34 PM

hi naman11,

Welcome to the Forums.

Does the freezing issue occur even if you restart in Safe Mode?

- If the PC boots up fine in Safe Mode, try to perform a clean boot and observe it in normal mode

- if you still get the same issues try to run an error scan on the HDD using HD Tune.

Let me know your findings

Regards 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

35 Posts

09-02-2013

India

59 Signins

425 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2013-09-04, 13:59 PM

Thanks neokenchi for replying.

There is no problem in booting, it boots normally and i never have to boot in safe mode.

I always boot normally and when i check the Event Manager it shows the

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."  and this is shown as critical .

Since normal restart works fine, should i still restart in Safe mode??

Pls tell me how do we do that??

• An imp.  point here is that my system is dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04, but there are no startup issues as such (except when starting after sleep/hibernate mode) and such a problem(of freezing) never occurred with Ubuntu.
  • I have tried changing my antivirus software, still the problem remains.

thanks

Answer
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2013-09-04, 23:24 PM

hi naman11,

Booting in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking isolates non-microsoft services/apps that's most likely causing the computer to freeze up. I recommended you give this a shot if the freezing occurs within the first few minutes of using the machine. (see this guide on how to boot into Safe Mode / Safe Mode with Networking)

If hybrid sleep / hibernate is ON and the freezing issue occurs mostly happens after waking the computer from sleep/hibernate , the OS is most likely having problems reading the hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) which is stored on the HDD. Chances are, there's a bad sector on the HDD that's causing this. Try to install HD Tune and run an error scan on the drive.

Regards

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

35 Posts

09-02-2013

India

59 Signins

425 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2013-09-05, 8:14 AM

thanks again neokenchi

The problem has not occurred since last two days, but still i ran in safe mode and everything was fine.

I ran the Error Scan HD Tune and it did not show any error.

HD Tune Pro: ST500LT012-9WS142 Error Scan

Scanned data : 499 gB
Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
Elapsed Time : 1:45:34

(my hard disk is 500 gB)

But there is this Health tab in the software and its report is the image below

Link to picture

it shows all IDs as ok except Reallocated Event Count "warning"

I also forgot to mention that I always use usb mouse with my PC, somewhere i read that it might cause such a problem, but again there are no issues in the device manager(except bluetooth controller, while my bluetooth still works fine).

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2013-09-05, 20:31 PM

hi naman11,

Thanks for posting back the results. When you click on the Reallocated Event Cuont, what does it say on "Number of sector replacement operations"?

- Link to picture

According to these artcicles:

9132: S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: Reallocation Event Count

"Reallocation Event Count S.M.A.R.T. parameter indicates a count of remap operations (transferring data from a bad sector to a special reserved disk area - spare area). The raw value of this attribute shows the total number of attempts to transfer data from reallocated sectors to a spare area. Unsuccessful attempts are counted as well as successful. Since this is a count value, it can only increase

This is a critical parameter. Degradation of this parameter may indicate imminent drive failure. Urgent data backup and hardware replacement is recommended"

Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population

"Reallocation Counts - when the drive’s logic believes that a sector is damaged (typically as a result of recurring soft errors or a hard error) it can remap the faulty sector number to a new physical sector drawn from a pool of spares. Reallocation counts reflect the number of times this has happened, and is seen as an indication of drive surface wear."

I recommend you backup important data and observe the drive's behavior as it maybe possible that you're looking at an imminent HDD failure. You may also want to run chkdsk /r on an elevated command prompt so that windows will mark sectors that are not usable (if it finds any).

Regards

Options

35 Posts

09-02-2013

India

59 Signins

425 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2013-09-06, 7:15 AM

thanks again neokenchi.

this is the complete image of the results in health tab.

Link to picture

on clicking Reallocated Event Count, it says "Number of sector replacement operations 251380140867846"

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2013-09-06, 17:33 PM

hi naman11,

That's alot of sector replacement operations. Sooner or later, the HDD might fail completely. I recommend you backup important files and contact lenovo for service.

Regards

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2013-09-06, 17:36 PM

hi naman11,

That's alot of sector replacement operations - that might explain why Windows freezes up.

Sooner or later, the HDD will fail completely. I recommend you backup important files and contact lenovo for service as soon as possible.

Regards

Options

35 Posts

09-02-2013

India

59 Signins

425 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2013-09-06, 20:07 PM

hello neokenchi,

Today i called up Lenovo tech support guy.

He says that since the Lenovo Solution software does not report any error, this is not a hardware issue(and he can't comment on any third party software like HD Tune Pro).

Also he says that since this occurs occassionaly and not everytime i run my notebook, this is an issue with my windows 8 and advised me to install a fresh one.

(my laptop is still under warranty, so i can easily get hard disk replaced, but those guys will definitely hesitate in doing  so.)

I am sorry, i am unable to upload the html file of lenovo solution center  report here

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms