cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pfyre
Paper Tape
Views: 1,890
Message 1 of 5

G500s - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU70N no longer recognizes discs [CDs or DVDs filled or blank]

For some unknown reason the onboard DVD/CD drive on my Lenovo G500s Touch will no longer recognize discs [DVDs or CDs blank or full] - I can hear the drive come up to speed after inserting the media. It will 'see' that there is a disc there but it cannot be read or written to. Is this a driver issue?

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,829
Message 2 of 5

Re: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU70N no longer recognizes discs [CDs or DVDs filled or blank]

@pfyre wrote:

For some unknown reason the onboard DVD/CD drive on my Lenovo G500s Touch will no longer recognize discs [DVDs or CDs blank or full] - I can hear the drive come up to speed after inserting the media. It will 'see' that there is a disc there but it cannot be read or written to. Is this a driver issue?

Do you get error messages or do you have either yellow (warning) or red (trouble) marks on Device Manager entries?  Also what OS are you using?

Cheers.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
bsc249
Fanfold Paper
Views: 846
Message 3 of 5

Re: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU70N no longer recognizes discs [CDs or DVDs filled or blank]

Hopefully you're still around CBHendricks b/c I am having this same issue... 

It's been about two years since I even tried to play a dvd in my laptop so its hard to say when the issue started.  However, about two years ago I was playing, copying and burning to my hearts content.  Since having a kid burning isn't really my thing anymore - no time Smiley Happy  However I would luv to move a couple titles from a disc to a tablet for plane trips and I can't even get ANY discs to be recognized. 

If you or anyone else can help, I would like to get this resolved - TY

Lenovo Y410P

Win 10

Device Manager shows no yellow or red marks and says the device is running properly

Driver: Microsoft (6/21/2006) #: 10.0.16299.15

update driver says the latest driver is already installed

I can't find any other drivers for this dvd player...

SeniorGuru
Views: 840
Message 4 of 5

It may be that the DVD itself has a hardware problem. If possible I would try taking it out and looking at the connector contact points. If corroded or discolored it could be causing an issue. There are several ways to remove oxidation, one is with a pink eraser, but also can be done with repeatedly removing / replacing the DVD into the dock.

Beyond that, a replacement DVD may be the only other remedy.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
bsc249
Fanfold Paper
Views: 829
Message 5 of 5

Thanks, I'll take a look at over the next couple days.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors