Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon5252
Paper Tape
Views: 261
Message 1 of 4

G505 BOIS update fail

Hello.

After installing this BIOS update http://support.lenovo.com/us/ru/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g505s-n... my laptop rebooted and showed only black screen with working fan. It lasted 30 minutes and I could not power off it by holding a power button. I unplugged AC and battery. Now when Im trying to turn the laptop on it only shows a black screen and nothing happens. 

Is it any way to recover my bios?

Thank you. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 240
Message 2 of 4

Re: G505 BOIS update fail

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of your BIOS update problem.  What I would do is try a hard reset of the CMOS.  This can be done by opening your laptop and then disconnecting the CMOS battery.  With the main battery removed and the CMOS battery disconnected then press the power button for 20 seconds to dissipate any residual charge on the motherboard.  This will clear the stored CMOS information which maybe having a conflict with the newer BIOS version.  Once the CMOS is cleared plug the CMOS battery back in and reassemble the laptop and try powering it up to see if the problem is resolved.  On the reboot the computer will update the CMOS with new information.

On your model the CMOS battery is separate from the motherboard.  You can view this picture on eBay to see where it is located.  In the picture it will be just to the right of the memory slots.  It will be the black disk connected to the motherboard with the black and red wires.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KAoAAOSwXeJYIjZ7/s-l1600.jpg

Your model's Hardware Maintenace Manual will explain how to disassemble your laptop.  Here is a link to that manual.....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g400g500g405g505g410g510_hmm.pdf

Edit: In reviewing the manual it would appear that the CMOS battery is accessible once the bottom cover of the laptop is removed.  It would be just to the left of the hard drive.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Simon5252
Paper Tape
Views: 224
Message 3 of 4

Hello.

Thank you for your reply. Tried to clear CMOS by disconnecting the battery, tried to reseat processor and RAM - no effect. Seems to be I got the brick =( By the way all this problems started when I spilled a glass of water on keyboard - laptop turned off by itself. After that, when I set power on, processor fan spined for 5 seconds and turned off. It didnt want to spin even if cpu temp was above 85 C. The version of bios was 3.00. I backed up to 2.05 - it cause no effect to fan speed managment. Then goes fail when flashing back to 3.00 version.

As far as I know, it is the only way to solve my problem - replace the motherboard or hardware flash bios by third-party tools. Am I right, that it is no possibility to recover/flash that kind of bios from usb flash drive or something? 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 211
Message 4 of 4

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with any BIOS recovery options that maybe available.  Since you are also dealing with a previous water spill, a motherboard replacement might be the best option.  From what you have described even if you were to recover the BIOS you then have to deal with the fan issue caused by the water damage.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors