cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 35,158

Question

On most current laptops, there's a set of hotkeys assigned to each function (F1-F12) key. For example, on this Lenovo G505 laptop, F1 mutes the audio, F2 turns the volume down, F7 enables airplane mode, F12 turns up the screen brightness, and so on.

If you were using some software, say, a word processor, in order to use the functions that the "F12" key would use (in my word processor, F12 turns some text in to a list), you have to hold down the "Fn" key, and then press the "F12" key.

In my case, where I have to change a large number of different groups of text in to lists, it's extremely inconvenient to have to keep holding down the "Fn" key before pressing the "F12" key.

I should be able to just hit the "F12" key, so that the laptop uses the software function of "F12" (turning text in to a list), instead of turning up the screen's brightness.

How can i change the hotkeys behaviours in my G505?

Answer

BIOS version 2.04 and above should provide feature to disable/enable hotkeys :  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS038945

How to install the package for this version v2.04:

1. Locate the file 82CN24WW.exe that has been downloaded.
  2. Double click the 82CN24WW exe icon.
  3. Click Install.
  4. Click Flash BIOS.
  5. Press Enter to start flashing. During the process, you are advised not to turn off the computer.
  6. When the update finishes, the computer will automatically reboot for the changes to take effect.
  7. If the hot key not work without Fn key after flash BIOS, this SOP describes how to enable hot key mode

Step 1: Press power button to boot, then press F2 key enter BIOS setup. 
          Step 2: Select sub menu to Configuration
          Step 3: Select to Hotkey Mode item and then press enter
          Step 4: Select Enabled then press enter
          Step 5:  Press F10 save and exit, then select Yes then press enter.

Note: If you could not find the Hotkey mode in Configuration, try setting the BIOS to the Default Settings at the Exit tab in the BIOS. Then reboot and go back into the BIOS again, the Hotkeys Mode settings in the BIOS should be there to enable/disable the Fn lock.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
franta123

Hello,
I have trouble with my Lenovo G505, I was having problems with wifi and later with HDD too, so I decided upgrading BIOS.
On the laptop was 82CN27WW(V3.00) and on lenovo support website was only 82CN24WW(V2.04) so I tried it and now my graphics cards are not working and I cannot install any driver, only when I disable switching graphics in BIOS.

Do you have any solution? Where can I get newer BIOS?
Thanks for any help