cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jellibean
Paper Tape
Views: 466
Message 1 of 4

G505 Keyboard; return/enter/shift keys on right hand side of board stopped working

Hi

i am hoping someone can help with my problem.  I have a G505 laptop for over a year now.  About two months ago some keys on the right hand side of the keyboard stopped working.  Mainly the shift key, enter key, return key.  Other keys around these working fine.  I cannot use Word or type emails now and rely on the onscreen keyboard to compete return or enter functions which is painful.  Also, sometimes when I boot the laptop up, the screen is very dark.  The only way to rectify this is to reboot (sometimes several times) or for some reason if I plug in a HDMI cable to link laptop to TV, the brightness returns straight away.

I would be very grateful for any guidance on these issues.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

JB

jellibean
Paper Tape
Views: 413
Message 2 of 4

Re: G505 Keyboard; return/enter/shift keys on right hand side of board stopped working

Can anyone help out with this keyboard issue? I have tried rebooting from last date update in control panel but problem is older than last date available.  I have also tried to shut down, use recovery key to call up recovery menu but i cannot select system recovery as i need the enter/return key to do so!!!!!!  Im so frustrated at this point.  Please any suggestions to above issue???  Thanks in advance.  PS  onscreen keyboard works for return/enter if that helps any.

SeniorGuru
Views: 406
Message 3 of 4

Re: G505 Keyboard; return/enter/shift keys on right hand side of board stopped working

This may be mechanical rather than software related.  I would suggest cleaning the keyboard using canned computer air to blow out dust and debries.  Also - try a USB keyboard that is known to work and see if the situation improves.

Let us know the outcome.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
jellibean
Paper Tape
Views: 392
Message 4 of 4

Hi CB, many thanks for your suggestions.  i tried the compressed air cleaning yesterday but it didn't fix the problem.  I will try the USB keyboard suggestion next.  Many thanks for your assistance with this problem.  I will let you know how I get on. Thanks Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors