Did you mean: 
jg623
Fanfold Paper
Views: 387
Message 1 of 9

G505 issues

Hi,

My SSD failed so I had to replace it.

Upon replacing the drive I have encountered a few issues in regards to installing windows.

It fails finding the hard drive and I need the sata driver for it to see the SSD.

The SSD is visible in BIOS (legacy support)

However, the laptop does not recognise any USB memory sticks (even though they are powered on)

USB options are enabled in BIOS as well.

I have tried both Windows 7/10 - 64 bit versions and it fails at the same part.

Even so, if it worked with the USB I doubt it wouldve found the Sata driver listed in the downloads as its a .exe file

(I later extracted all filed to USB) listed here on lenovo support

I can't even find the chipset driver on AMD's website - extracting the .exe too.

I need the Sata driver so I can merge it on the windows installation itself and make another .iso

Laptop is Lenovo g505 - amd a6-5200

I know the driver is available somewhere as I was able to install my old SSD with windows 10 without errors.

Any help is appreciated.

Highlighted
jg623
Fanfold Paper
Views: 323
Message 2 of 9

Re: G505 issues

anyone?
SeniorGuru
Views: 299
Message 3 of 9

The best way to restore your notebook is to use the factory load on recovery disks. If you did not make them, they may still have a set online so contacting Lenovo Support via phone to order them (if available) would be the best option.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
jg623
Fanfold Paper
Views: 290
Message 4 of 9

The recovery media is not available for my laptop. I just went through the process.

I've emailed tech support, I have no other options now

SeniorGuru
Views: 270
Message 5 of 9

Go into BIOS and make sure "Secure Boot" is disabled, set to legacy mode and make sure the SSD is listed as bootable.

See if that makes a difference.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
jg623
Fanfold Paper
Views: 260
Message 6 of 9

I called technical support and they said that I have to reinstall windows, and I explained I couldnt, so they didnt have a solution to my problem.

Its always been on legacy mode, and the SSD is visible in BIOS.

I switched the sata mode from AHCI to compatible(IDE) and It went past the initial issue I was having, but when it got to copying windows files it failed with error code 0x8007025D

I know what the issue is, I need the SATA Driver for the install.. and as I've explained I cant see it or extract it from the only driver on the lenovo support (.exe) all thats in the .exe is display and audio for some reason.

And when I have the driver I have to mount it on the windows .iso for it to work as the laptop does not recognise any usb devices to search for drivers (it cant even boot from a usb, cant detect anything, yes usb support is enabled)

Ive tried everything possible, every combination in BIOS. I even swapped out the DVD drive as I had one spare. I even used a mechanical 1TB hard drive and the issue is still occuring.

It wont even boot up a linux install.

I even ran MEMTEST 86 and it passed.

I would appreciate it if this could be escalated, as the drivers should be available to download individually (like all other manufacturers) and not in one huge .exe file

I dont see why this is so complicated, All I want to do is reinstall windows on this laptop.

SeniorGuru
Views: 205
Message 7 of 9

I did not see an answer to "turned off secure boot" in your response, sorry if I missed it.

Could you please confirm for me that the secure boot option is disabled, also you can try to reset bios to factory settings (remove power, battery press and hold power key for 30 seconds) to revert changes back to factory settings (wipes user input and restores factory image to BIOS).

Once reset - make changes one at a time (limits trouble shooting complexity) to see if you can get it working.

Windows 10 generic SATA drives usually work with name brand units just fine so it must be a setting in BIOS / Security / OS Key Storage that is causing the hiccups in the install path.

CB

SeniorGuru
Views: 205
Message 8 of 9

Also - FYI - escalations happen over the phone, just ask for a "case manager" to get it done.

We are just peer to peer here, not official Lenovo employees....

CB

jg623
Fanfold Paper
Views: 168
Message 9 of 9

Nothing shows up when I select UEFI only. No hard drives, no cd drives or usb.

When I select legacy, only the cd and hard drive is detected.

Any usb that I plug in lights up but doesnt communicate. (have tested this on my main pc and the usb and usb cd drive work perfectly)

I managed to upgrade to the latest BIOS without going through windows, and nothing has changed.

I honestly think the board is defective in some way. It cant detect USB (to boot from) or even when I go to select the driver from the windows install (driver missing please load etc) nothing shows up.

I actually found a backup of the old Hard drive, restored the back up and it wont load windows with the error code :

0xc000225 winload.efi  (missing or corrupt)

So I went further and used the install disc to fix the issue, (fixboot/bootrec/sfc/)

and although they said successful when I entered each command it done nothing.

It wouldnt run startup repair/system restore/go back to previous version.

I've set the BIOS back to default, and tried every configuration.

Both linux and windows(7/8/8.1/10 64bit) won't install. I really dont know what else I can do.

Ive uploaded pictures of my BIOS on imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/RHPQvNt

(Edited) 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors