Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Craig505s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 663
Message 1 of 7

G505s BIOS damaged, UEFI not working, legacy boots OK

Hi folks.  I bought a G505s, LA-A092P mainboard, running Windows 8.1.  I tried to update BIOS from version 2.0X to 3.00.  After the flash I got the following error on startup:

It says "Checking media," then says “EFI Network 0 for IPv6 (my MAC Address) boot failed.” Then a blue popup box saying, “Default boot device missing or boot failed,” and I’m prompted to insert recovery media and/or go to Boot Manager.  Boot Manager wants me to select between “EFI Network 0 (MAC Address) for IPv4” or IPv6, and both of course just lead to "Checking media" again and then “No bootable device, please restart system.”

I can start fine in legacy.  At first Winflash would not let me try the update again, because Winflash thinks the BIOS version is already 3.00.  But I can go into Setup, under Configuration, and there’s an option called “BIOS Back Flash” and enable it, and then Winflash will run regardless. But it made no difference.  I re-flashed several times, and I still get the same UEFI error as before.

I downloaded Winflash straight from this website, not a third party.  I can post screen shots if it helps.  I hope this sounds familiar to somebody?  But I did not find ayone else getting this exact error with a cursory search of these boards.  If anyone can tell me what I need to do, I would greatly appreciate it.   -- Craig

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 625
Message 2 of 7

Re: G505s BIOS damaged, UEFI not working, legacy boots OK

Hi Craig505s!

Welcome to the Community,

Did you download the latest BIOS from the Support website? It seems that the laptop is booting from Network, instead of booting from HDD. Try a BIOS reset,

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500216

While in BIOS, press Fn+F9 / F9 to load default settings. After that, press Fn+F10 / F10 to exit saving changes. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Craig505s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 610
Message 3 of 7

I went to default settings as above, and there was no change.  There are only three options I can get to come up in Boot Manager:

EFI USB Device (my recovery USB brand name)                (If I have it plugged in)

EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (my MAC address)

EFI Network 0 for IPv6 (my MAC address)

At this time, I cannot get any kind of HDD to come up as an choice in Boot Manager.

But if I switch to legacy, I can boot fine.

Craig505s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 600
Message 4 of 7

When I follow that link I get document not available.  (I have to go back to work now, will check on it after I get out.)

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 594
Message 5 of 7

Sorry about that. Try this link instead https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht070218. We'll wait for your message later.

Craig505s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 576
Message 6 of 7

I get a not found link from that too.  Here are a couple of ways I can check bios version outside of Setup, done while I am in legacy.

1. Go to Command Prompt, type: wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
Result:  83CN53WW<V3.00>

2. Right-click Windows icon --> Run, type msinfo32
Result: BIOS Version/Date = LENOVO 83CN53WW(V3.00), 1/8/2014

But I am starting to suspect there is, in fact, nothing wrong with the BIOS.  I'll explain in next message ...

Craig505s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 575
Message 7 of 7

Consider the following message thread:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3308045/hdd-disk-drive-found-uefi.html

I bought this G505s a couple of months ago from a third party seller, not from Lenovo.  I suspect that the seller went to erase the previous owner’s data, and re-built the software wrong, probably with the machine in legacy mode.

I noticed that after Winflash finishes, and the machine restarts, it starts automatically in default UEFI (i.e., the flash erases user settings). 

I think that I was using this machine this whole time in legacy until I flashed v. 3.00, then it changed to UEFI, and that's why I'm only noticing it now.

I have an SSD that I was planning to upgrade the G505s with.  It has no data on it yet, not formatted as far as I know.  This machine did not come with a system image USB that I could use to recover from.  So, it looks like if I want to use Windows on the SSD, I will need to download/buy a recovery CD.

Thanks for the help, you did inform me that the HDD was supposed to show up in Boot Manager, and that’s what led me to isolate the problem.

I will consider this problem closed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors