Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-11-2014

Atlanta

3 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 4

G505s Microphone Does Not Work

2014-05-11, 22:29 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a G505s laptop running Windows 8 (link below), but when I went on Skype earlier today I found that the microphone had trouble picking up my voice. It was sporatic and would only very softly register speech occasionally, even when I put my face up close and yelled. For some reason, the microphone registers keystrokes and me tapping the computer very clearly, but when I check the microphone activity in the Recording tab of the Sound menu, I don't get green bars for speech, only for tapping on the laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829

I've tried a number of fixes, and nothing has worked so far. Here's a list of what I've tried:

1. Changed "Microphone Level" to 100 and tried all settings of "Microphone Boost." This only resulted in more static; the microphone was still not registering my voice. Additionally, I've tried switching on the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option in the Advanced Tab.

2. Searched for Updated Drivers. The microphone is listed as "Conexant SmartAudio HD." Went under "Device Manager" -> "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" -> "Contexant SmartAudio HD." After right clicking and searching for drivers, it reported that I was using the best available/up-to-date ones.

3. Enabled disabled Devices. Right clicked on the list of recording devices in the Sound menu, checked "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconected Devices." A device marked "Stereo Mix: Conexant SmartAudio HD" showed up, and I tried enabling it and setting it as default device. Neither worked.

The only thing I heard that might have fixed this problem was "reverting to built-in windows drivers from Microsoft", but the user did not describe how to do this.

Any suggestions?

Answer
Options

4469 Posts

04-22-2013

Philippines

3830 Signins

254594 Page Views

• Views: 254594

Re: G505s Microphone Does Not Work

2014-05-12, 16:28 PM

hi jahn39,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

Reverting to the Microsoft Built in Driver

Open Device Manager

Under Sound and game controller Right click on the sound adapter and click on update driver

On the prompt of update driver click on  Browse my computer for Driver Software 

on the next window Click on let me pick from a list of device driver

Now you will have a list of drivers already available in your system,

If your system has a Lenovo Supplied driver plus a Microsoft built in driver, then you should have at least two drivers on the list

If you see a  High definition Audio then that should be the Microsoft built in, click that and install it.

If this worked for you then follow this procedure to prevent Microsoft to install the one that is lenovo Supplied 

http://www.trishtech.com/2013/02/disable-driver-installation-from-windows-update-in-windows-8/

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

4469 Posts

04-22-2013

Philippines

3830 Signins

254594 Page Views

• Views: 254594
  • Message 2 of 4

2014-05-12, 16:28 PM

hi jahn39,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

Reverting to the Microsoft Built in Driver

Open Device Manager

Under Sound and game controller Right click on the sound adapter and click on update driver

On the prompt of update driver click on  Browse my computer for Driver Software 

on the next window Click on let me pick from a list of device driver

Now you will have a list of drivers already available in your system,

If your system has a Lenovo Supplied driver plus a Microsoft built in driver, then you should have at least two drivers on the list

If you see a  High definition Audio then that should be the Microsoft built in, click that and install it.

If this worked for you then follow this procedure to prevent Microsoft to install the one that is lenovo Supplied 

http://www.trishtech.com/2013/02/disable-driver-installation-from-windows-update-in-windows-8/

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

05-11-2014

Atlanta

3 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-05-12, 21:03 PM

Thank you so much for your quick response! The problem is now resolved. You have been extremely helpful.

Have a good one!

Options

4 Posts

11-05-2013

UK

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-06-05, 9:23 AM

I have the same problem with Skype, the microphone output is so low recipients cannot hear me but the solution posted doesn't seem to apply to me, Windows 8

These are the options I have in Device Manager so how do I install the Windows driver?

Device Manager

Microphone

Connexant Smart Audio HD

Update Drive Software

Compatible hardware

Audio Endpoint

Generic Software device

Sound Video and Game controllers

Update Driver Software

AMD High Definition Audio Device

Connexant Smart Audio HD

D:\DRIVERS\AUDIO\W8-64

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)