Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

04-01-2014

Scotland

17 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 1 of 5

G510 - Create Recovery DVD

2014-06-18, 19:45 PM

I am going to install a SSD in my G510 and would like to know if it is possible to create a recovery DVD as my usb has only 100gb remaining and a full system back-up takes 288gb

Cheers

Answer
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737

Re: G510 - Create Recovery DVD

2014-06-18, 20:11 PM

hi rosscarnie,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

If the IdeaPad G510 is running on a preloaded Windows 8 / 8.1 then you may create a recovery drive using this method. This recovery drive will only restore the preloaded OS, softwares, and drivers.

More info:

Methodology to create Recovery Media

How to Create a Recovery USB Flash Drive in Windows 8 and 8.1

If you're looking into getting a full image backup of your system, you may need to purchase a bigger storage (eg. a 500GB external HDD) to plate the image.

Note:

There are reports that you can't use the recovery drive with a blank HDD (like in this thread) but ideally, the recovery drive can be used to restore on a blank HDD as discussed in this article.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(4)
Answer
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 2 of 5

2014-06-18, 20:11 PM

hi rosscarnie,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

If the IdeaPad G510 is running on a preloaded Windows 8 / 8.1 then you may create a recovery drive using this method. This recovery drive will only restore the preloaded OS, softwares, and drivers.

More info:

Methodology to create Recovery Media

How to Create a Recovery USB Flash Drive in Windows 8 and 8.1

If you're looking into getting a full image backup of your system, you may need to purchase a bigger storage (eg. a 500GB external HDD) to plate the image.

Note:

There are reports that you can't use the recovery drive with a blank HDD (like in this thread) but ideally, the recovery drive can be used to restore on a blank HDD as discussed in this article.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

12 Posts

04-01-2014

Scotland

17 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 3 of 5

2014-06-18, 20:21 PM

Awesome, thanks

Options

4 Posts

12-12-2013

16 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 4 of 5

2014-07-30, 16:50 PM

Hello Lenovo Support,

I have done what is described in Methodology to create Recovery Media on my G510 laptop
But this was with the original OEM OS Win8. In the meantime I have upgraded to Win8.1 Update 1.

After I suspected a problem on the PC I have tried to recover the original status with OneKey recovery.
The restore with OneKey recovery failed and I was lucky to have done a system backup with Easus To do backup.
The restore with Easus To do backup went fine.

The situation is now following:
- Upgraded again to Windows 8.1 Update 1
- PC is running fine but:
   *The Lenovo recovery partition D: is empty
   *Windows RE Status is Disabled (reagentc /info)
   * When trying to create a revovery drive (USB), I get following message "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing. To troubleshoot problems when your PC can't start, use your Windows installation disc or media“
   * When trying "Refresh your PC without affecting your files“ I get following message

„Could not find the recovery environment. Insert your Windows installation or recovery media and restart your PC with the media“.

Could you please give me detailed instruction about how I will be able to refresh/reset my Win8.1 PC.
I hope there is another solution than go back to Win8 and re-install ALL the Win8.1 (and soon Win9) updates everytime.
Furthermore I wouldn't like to rely exclusively on third party software for my backups.
Thank you very much for your assistance.

Options

1 Posts

06-25-2015

canada

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 5 of 5

2015-07-03, 0:02 AM

Hi

i have a laptop lenovo G510 and my H.D.D was crash ,at now i need to CD recovery and drivers ,and i don't konw how can i do ? please if may be for you ,intruduce me your partner in ottawa ,i will buy CD recovery of it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms