cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Myke83
What's DOS?
Views: 286
Message 1 of 4

G510 randomly turns itself off a few minutes after being turned on.

I recently picked up a Lenovo G510 laptop for spares or repair and am currently trying to fix it, but I'm having problems trying to diagnose what's going on.

The problem with the laptop was that the keyboard / track pad didn't work. I thought it would be an easy fix so picked it up cheap. When I booted into BIOS the keyboard worked fine, but immediately after going into Windows install it stopped. Because of this I thought it could have been a BIOS issue so I unplugged the CMOS and main battery and left it for half an hour to let it reset.

This didn't fix the keyboard problem so I'm resigning myself to using a USB keyboard / trackpad instead.

However, now it's decided to turn itself off after being turned on. Initially it was doing it around 10-30 or so seconds after being turned on so I assumed it was a cooling issue. I took the fan and heatsink off and found that there was absolutely zero thermal paste. I applied a generous amount of Arctic Silver and now it's running for around 5 or so minutes but then there'as a final burst from the fan and the laptop automatically shuts off. I've tried running it with the base off and the fan is working how it should, and the last time it shut down I immediately felt the back of the heatsink directly above the processor and it wasn't that hot - so I'm not sure if it's a heat issue causing the problem now. I've blown the fan out with compressed air as a precaution but the insides were already clean from any dust buildup.

Can anyone suggest anything I could do to try and fix the problem? Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 261
Message 2 of 4

Re: G510 randomly turns itself off a few minutes after being turned on.

Usually the issue with applying new thermal paste is too much paste... With Arctic Silver - it is conductive so any of it that spills over or squeezes out from under the heat sink and makes contact with the system board it can cause issues.  Usually the Arctic Silver goop uses only about a rice kernel sized amount to do the job.

Other than that - if the HSF was totally lacking in thermal paste the CPU may have been damaged by overheating. This can not easily be fixed or reset and has nothing to do with BIOS as it is hardwired inside the CPU core.  Best bet, power off notebook, unplug battery, press and hold down power button to do a drain out. Once completed, replace battery, connect power and boot into BIOS, look for anything out of place, set defaults then save and exit.

If it boots normally and runs better - you got lucky.  If it still is problematic you can try replacing the CPU if socketed, but if a soldered down chip is present, a new system board will be the only other solution.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Myke83
What's DOS?
Views: 219
Message 3 of 4

Thank you kindly for your reply!

I decided to go ahead and find a replacement CPU as the laptop was showing the signs that the original one wasn't working properly, but after popping in the new one, applying thermal paste and screwing everything back in the same thing happened - the laptop shut down after 5-10 minutes.

I was on the point of giving up but I decided to see if the problem still occured with Ubuntu, so I created a bootable USB and plugged it in and, lo and behold, the laptop works absolutely fine.

So why is the laptop working like a dream on Ubuntu, but shuts itself off when I try to install Windows? It's definitely not a heating issue as, with Ubuntu, I've run some graphics intensive software and full HD videos from YT, and it handled them all perfectly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

SeniorGuru
Views: 197
Message 4 of 4

@Myke83 wrote:

Thank you kindly for your reply!

I decided to go ahead and find a replacement CPU as the laptop was showing the signs that the original one wasn't working properly, but after popping in the new one, applying thermal paste and screwing everything back in the same thing happened - the laptop shut down after 5-10 minutes.

I was on the point of giving up but I decided to see if the problem still occured with Ubuntu, so I created a bootable USB and plugged it in and, lo and behold, the laptop works absolutely fine.

So why is the laptop working like a dream on Ubuntu, but shuts itself off when I try to install Windows? It's definitely not a heating issue as, with Ubuntu, I've run some graphics intensive software and full HD videos from YT, and it handled them all perfectly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

First off - good to see that Ubuntu is working great, you might like trying Linux Mint - better overal look and feel IMO than Ubuntu (not brown) and seems to work a bit better on older machines than Ubuntu.

Going back to Windows -  this may be a compatiblity issue, a driver issue or even a Windows system issue that is causing the random events.  You can always use the "Event Viewer" in Windows to see what errors have been occuring, if you can get it to run correctly long enought to dig into it.  If not, try Windows 7 to see if it works better than Windows 10.  The latest updates to 10 really did not help with getting older systems (2yrs) to run better, more stable as it is still a bit buggy.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors