Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mshedden
Paper Tape
Views: 430
Message 1 of 4

G510 won't power on or boot

I have an Ideapad G510 with Intel i7-4700mq, intel graphics running Win 10.

Recently it will not power on or boot. With the battery installed, and the power supply plugged in, the battery charge LED is on.

When pressing the power button, the power LED comes on for approximately 5 seconds and then goes out. Nothing appears on the screen, the fan does not come on, no beeps, nothing.

THEN: after leaving for a random amount of time (hours), the machine will boot itself (without anyone touching it), at which point it seems to operate normally. When it is running, it can be restarted any number of times and works fine, but if it is powered all the way down (ie shutdown), the bad behavior starts again and it will not power on again when the power button is pressed (power light comes on and goes out after 5 seconds or so as before).

When the machine was booted OK, I rebooted it with the UEFI diagnostics on a USB stick, and it passed all the tests ok, with the exception of the Real Time Clock (suggested replacing CMOS battery). Ran the tests again, and this error did not recur, however I replaced the CMOS battery with one from another laptop, and this made no difference (didn't think it would).

I have tried with/without the battery, and also with another Lenovo power supply and this does not affect things. Reseated the ram sticks. No help.

Any ideas? (maybe flakey motherboard?) The starting by itself thing after hours of waiting is bizarre though...

mshedden
Paper Tape
Views: 404
Message 2 of 4

Re: G510 won't power on or boot

Seriously thinking it might be a defective power switch... the powering up by itself thing might be due to that...?
mshedden
Paper Tape
Views: 356
Message 3 of 4

Replaced power switch, behavior the same unfortunately...

SeniorGuru
Views: 322
Message 4 of 4

Sounds like the issue is with the system board. This will need a bench test to eval and replace.

Contact Lenovo Support to check on warranty, then repair options.

Good luck.
CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors