Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-27-2013

Wilsonville, Or USA

4 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 1 of 4

G550 Laptop Horizontal Lines - Known Issue - On my 2nd After Returning First - Not Feeling Confident

2013-06-27, 2:36 AM

I recently purchased a G550 model laptop -- This laptop has everything I would want in this price range and was pleased to have found it on sale and after a test drive left Fry's Electronics with a smile. When I was walking out, I saw a man bringing back in the same model for a return - I tried my best to ignore that and think positive.

The 2nd day I used it I began to see intermittent white horizontal flicker lines -- sometimes across the majority of screen, always from right to left and then in the very top portion of the screen. It then evolved into a line of white small dashes in the middle of the very top of the screen. Searching the internet, I found many many posts and videos with exactly the same problem or very similar on this same model and others from Lenovo.

I took the time to capture the line flickers with my video camera and decided to return it as it was only used briefly in the 5 days I had it in use. Since the lines were intermittent/random in their appearance times - I had a hard time verifying the defect - luckily the videos and the store manager helped me and offered me a new G550 and extended the return time as if I had bought it on return date (as he should). The man at the return desk actually said "You know you are buying one of our cheaper laptops in the whole store - so what do you expect?" - This was not what I or anybody should hear. If I am spending 300.00 on electronics - it should work as described. I bit my tongue and did not reply as it would not have been a polite response from me.

So now I am running the new G550 that they replaced it with -- funny as certain software is on this one like the Lenovo support software that was NOT on my original purchased laptop.

At the moment, I have app. 10 days left to get a full refund if this machine starts to do the "screen line flickers". However, I am feeling very UNCONFIDENT as I read more and more about this known issue.

Yes, I know the warranty covers this scenario for one year - but nobody wants to ship their laptop back to the manafacturer and wait for repair and or replacement parts.

Is there any known "fixes" for this that will not involve voiding my warranty? --- I understand it is a hardware issue and am watching for the flickers to appear always. Last thing I need -- being on a very low set monthly income - is to lose my 15 day return window and have the flickers appear on day 20.

Can anyone please offer any info/suggestions so that I am not "computing scared" the next 10 days before my return window at Fry's expires?

Shouldnt be feeling nervous after buying new laptops. Other than this issue, I love the feel/size/keyboard and eevrything else on this G550. I dont want it to go bad on me --- but I simply cannot afford to have it turn defective on me 2 weeks from now.

Thanks to all who have read this lengthy post. I would be most grateful to anyone who replies.
Sincerely, FP

Options

5 Posts

06-27-2013

Wilsonville, Or USA

4 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 2 of 4

Lenovo G550 Warranty - What if my screen goes bad - Am I covered?

2013-06-27, 15:32 PM

Thanks for reading in advance!

Im trying to find out how the "limited" warranty works on a G550
If I was to have problems with screen flickering (known issue) 6 months into my purchase --- Does the warranty cover this - what I believe is a hardware/wiring issue? And if so.....how would this process unfold? Would I have to send my laptop to Lenovo? Has anyone been thru this -- I would sincerely appreciate anyone sharing their experience with the process of using the warranty given.

Sincerely, FP

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: G550 Laptop Horizontal Lines - Known Issue - On my 2nd After Returning First - Not Feeling Confi

2013-06-28, 22:56 PM

hi guys,

You're issues might be similar to this article - G550 - red, blue, yellow lines appeared on screen.

@FA,

Sorry to hear about your trouble there. AFAIK, flickering issues / vertical lines are commonly caused by either the LCD cable, lcd inverter, or the LCD itself. Not sure if it's a bad batch but kindly check the solutions that were provided on the article above to see what's the best course of action for the issue.

For the warranty coverage, flickering issues are usually covered if it's caused by a faulty lcd part (the lcd cable,  inverter, or the lcd itself), I've seen this happen on my laptop (which is a different brand) and the problem lies with the LCD cable. I recommend you contact lenovo for more info on how to go about having the computer serviced under warranty.

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 4 of 4

Re: Lenovo G550 Warranty - What if my screen goes bad - Am I covered?

2013-06-28, 22:58 PM

hi FA,,

You're issues might be similar to this article - G550 - red, blue, yellow lines appeared on screen.

Sorry to hear about your trouble there at the store. AFAIK, flickering issues / vertical lines are commonly caused by either the LCD cable, lcd inverter, or the LCD itself. Not sure if it's a bad batch but kindly check the solutions that were provided on the article above to see what's the best course of action for the issue.

For the warranty coverage, flickering issues are usually covered if it's caused by a faulty lcd part (the lcd cable,  inverter, or the lcd itself), I've seen this happen on my laptop (which is a different brand) and the problem lies with the LCD cable. I recommend you contact lenovo for more info on how to go about having the computer serviced under warranty.

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms