Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slaattnes
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,946
Message 11 of 18

Re: lenovo g550 Bios update crash. HELP fast please

For me it looks like it's something wrong with the bios update from Lenovo. Have anybody done a successful update from the newest bios installer for Windows 7?

Edit: Or done a successful bios recovery? Here is a link to the bios recovery thread on mydigitallife: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/2105-BIOS-Recovery-procedures

I have successfully entered bios recovery mode by pressing Fn+B but I can't get it to load the bios.wph I have prepared on a usb disk with Phoenix Wincrisis v.1.0.0.4.

It would be nice to get some feedback from technicians from Lenovo as I have seen that there are a _lot_ of people which have experienced a bad bios update from Lenovos own installer (wherever the fault lies isn't that important I would like to say - it must be more important to give a good service than to point out how often a bios update go wrong)

plinni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,878
Message 12 of 18

Got the same problem and it's not the best to live without my notebook. The screen is still black and nothing happens. I definitely need it back to work.

slaattnes
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,850
Message 13 of 18

Again, I have to point out that an answer from a Lenovo technician would make things so much easier for the lot of us.

Information about the proper procedures, datasheets on the motherboard and information and suggestions like if the bios chip is soldered on or not so that maybe a "hot flash" or eeeprom programming would be the solution would be a lot of help.

Former Administrator
Views: 4,833
Message 14 of 18

All,

I don't think there is a problem with the BIOS file itself, but I'm seeing customers here and there, with multiple models of systems having trouble flashing with 64 bit versions of BIOS updates.

Duck3's advice is good to see if you can recover the system yourself, and if not, you will need to contact service. 

Lenovo does not have a software recovery proceedure to resolve this - this  typically requires some hardware work to fix the board - service will replace the board and the removed board can be repaired. 

If you have had success with one of these crisis recovery proceedures from elsewhere online, please do share the results.

To dramatically reduce the odds of having a problem while flashing I advise that you:

1) Download the new BIOS

2) Ensure battery is fully charged and system is running with AC connected

3) Reboot the system and after the boot, flash the BIOS before doing anything else

4) Reboot and then resume normal use.

On some models we have noted a scenario where a BIOS flash may not be successful if a system has been suspended (sleep ) or hibernated and then resumed before flashing.  Therefore, I'm suggesting a reboot before flashing.

What BIOS version were you upgrading from?

Mark

Damioz
What's DOS?
Views: 4,771
Message 15 of 18

Hello Mark

I'm working on a Lenovo G550 2958. I installed Windows 7 on the laptop. I downloaded the following update:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ge/en/driversdownloads/drivers_show_2885.html

The flash started as usual, erased the old BIOS and flashed with the new one. Then, it rebooted automaticly. 

The result now is, if i press the power button, the LEDs are lighting up. I also hear the HDD and the CPU cooler spinning.

I tried it with pressing FN+B, but the screen stays black. Is there any possibility, to recover the BIOS by a Reset switch or jumper on this motherboard?

Because i demounted the whole laptop now, for searching it. Smiley Wink

Or do i really have to send my laptop to the repair center? :/ 

That would be bad, because i'm from Switzerland. And the Lenovo service center here in Switzerland told me, that they won't repair this model, because it belongs not to our country.

So do I have warranty on such a BIOS issue?

Thanks for an answer.

Best regards, 

Silvan

plinni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,733
Message 16 of 18

Made it the same way Damioz did (even without opening my NB). I read some threads in the net which tell me that the Lenovo Support doesn't care about this BIOS update issue 'cause everyone was doing it on his own.

jmonkey90
Paper Tape
Views: 4,334
Message 17 of 18

I give. I have been trying to fix my G550 for a month now after that failed bios update. I am sending it in for some in warrenty repair. Does anyone know if I have to include the harddrive? I would rather that they did not reimage it as I haven't backed up since April.Smiley Mad

KSAguy
What's DOS?
Views: 1,663
Message 18 of 18

from mark_lenovo - ADMIN:

Duck3's advice is good to see if you can recover the system yourself, and if not, you will need to contact service. 

I have a 3 yr old G550 I bought in Ukraine!   Now in Saudi Arabia!

It was LENOVO's own update that screwed UP my bios!!!!!!!!

Many have had the same!!!

LENOVO does not want to fix this....   they could easily produce a "patch" - "fix" .........

but that does not make $$$$$$$$$$$$$!

I will never buy again...........

It feels like a big SCAM to me.........

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors