Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

13866 Posts

12-07-2009

Czech Republic

9008 Signins

170464 Page Views

• Views: 170464
  • Message 11 of 20

Re: IdeaPad G555 - sceen turns blask after few seconds, can read with flashlight

2013-01-22, 22:27 PM
can you check if the external monitor works? (hdmi/vga output)

Due to my absence, I may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

https://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Options

1 Posts

06-16-2013

chennai

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 12 of 20

Re: IdeaPad G555 - sceen turns blask after few seconds, can read with flashlight

2013-06-16, 15:31 PM

hi all,

Im also suffered the same problem! this problem due to graphic issue. so once you flash that component you meight fix this problem.

Thanks

BHarani

Options

1 Posts

01-12-2014

Bulgaria

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 13 of 20

Re: G555-0873 Black screen, No splash, no bios, not even caps lock lights

2014-01-13, 16:03 PM

Hi, i have the same problem just the difference that from time to time when I down the inner electricity in the laptop from time to time it starts with no problems as if it hasn't got any problem. What i could find in the net and tried was not  with the Ram as I mounted it on another laptop and everything was just fine. Its not the HDD. Its not from the monitor as it starts as i mentioned before (it cannot be attached to a VGA) Its someting with the GPU or the CPU if you have the 0873 model. Try this to see if sth will happen - unplug the AC and the battery and press the start button 10 times andon the 11th hold it for like 30-40 sec. then plug the AC and start it - i made tostart ittwicelike that. I was reading in an Ukranian forum about some reflow of the GPU (i have the standart 4200+HDD - cheaper version) which has some cooling problems cause of somenew sort of pasta lenovo was using for that model - ukranians changeit with a copper one and worked after a reflow- which basiclly is a reheating of the GPU and remount to the motherboard . I just don't want to do this for now as i'm looking for a different solution.

Options

6 Posts

09-05-2014

Oregon

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 14 of 20

2014-09-05, 17:46 PM

Necroposting is bad - I know. That said, I have seen no solution to what the original poster had asked or even the most recent post at the beginning of this year. Given that this is a forum based on people asking for help, it is not uncommon to find things like this when doing research and people will get frustrated when there is no solution.

This model does have a defect, whether lenovo cares to admit it or not. The U39 switch, a Reed Switch, uses a magnet located at the top of screen under the bezel by the camera on the right hand side. This magnet activates little fibers that are made of material able to be magnetized. The problem with this is, once this material has been in contact with the magnet for a lengthy period of time, the material itself becomes magnetic causing it to be stuck in an On position. This on  circuit tells the backlight behind the screen to turn off - because the laptop is closed.

A way to fix this is, with the power off and the unit plugged in, to take a medium strength neodymium-iron-boron magnet and, at the location opposite of where that magnet is on the top, swirl this magnet in a clockwise pattern for about 30 seconds. Place a piece of paper on the palm rest if you are worried about scratching the system. Turn the system back on and you should be able to see the screen again. If not, repeat these steps until you do. If after 3 or 4 times you have tried it and it doesn't work, you may be looking at other failing components such as the inverter or backlight. 

Again, sorry for the necropost, but hopefully this will help someone either in this thread or future people who search for assistance and come across this thread.

Options

2 Posts

11-23-2014

Pasadena, Ca

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 15 of 20

2014-11-23, 16:26 PM

If you can read the screen with a flashlight, then your problem is with the LCD inverter board.  There are several YouTube videos showing how to replace the LCD inverter board which you can buy from many sources for $20 to $60.

When I had this problem, I could hook up an external monitor; press Fn +F3, right arrow, Enter.  

Options

2 Posts

11-23-2014

Pasadena, Ca

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 16 of 20

2014-11-23, 16:33 PM

This happened to me, too in November 2014.  No beeps, and although the hard drive spins up, I can tell it is not even trying to access anything to boot.  No bios splash even with an external monitor.  (If you can read the screen with a flashlight or use an external monitor, then your problem is the LCD inverter board.  I've been there, this is a different problem.)

I just finished replacing the CPU, and... it still does not work.  :-(

Options

1 Posts

06-21-2015

Volos

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 17 of 20

2015-06-21, 14:21 PM

Ok I had the same problem with Lenovo ideapad s500. I would get this problem from times to times. No splash screen,no bios, nothing. Only the fan. After my warranty passed I decided to open up my ultrabook check the hardware &blow the dust. After reassembling it. I had the same problem,but this time it was forever. After checking that post about the screen connector or something I opened it again this time checking the screen-something cable, and what I saw was that it was not connected properly it was a bit off the connector. I just plugged it in properly(used some force) I never had the same problem again. But then again that is just me. I hope my reply proves usefull to anyone. Just recconect the screen cable.

Options

1 Posts

09-09-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 18 of 20

2017-09-09, 15:26 PM

I have your solution. You have a dead or dying processor. Take out your processor and turn on the machine. It will more or less act identical. If its just dying and not dead from over heating too many times, which these machines seem to be prone to, from what I am hearing, then it will eventually accept a startup attempt and you will get a splash screen and more HD activity, but it will break down in performance pretty quick and act up then go back to not booting a screen at all again and no BIOS. Your problem is a BAD processor.

Options

1 Posts

08-19-2018

India

1 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 19 of 20

2018-08-19, 3:52 AM

I am facing a similar problem with my dualbooted ideapad 300, earlier windows stopped booting and no grub menu appeared bit after using boot-repair in Ubuntu I changed default boot to sda6 i.e winre(windows recovery) now there seems no way to atleast launch Ubuntu.

Tried booting without hdd, took off ram, drained the battery and what not.

Any help?

Options

2402 Posts

11-07-2014

United States of America

1537 Signins

24241 Page Views

• Views: 24241
  • Message 20 of 20

2018-08-19, 19:20 PM
There are a few issues that may have impacted the machine, but messing with the boot loader files can cause all kinds of issues. Change the default back to your Ubuntu boot directory and try that. If it works, but the windows boot loader is failing then it is a problem with Windows and not hardware.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms