Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
borisoreilly
Paper Tape
Views: 22,713
Message 1 of 20

G555-0873 Black screen, No splash, no bios, not even caps lock lights

Hey all. Got windows 7 on my g555, with truecrypt on the drive, if it matters.  Last night, closed down the cover of my laptop before i fell asleep, like always, today it doesn't respond at all when I opened it back up.  Forced it to shut down, and haven't seen anything but a black screen since.

The power light comes on, the fan comes on, and that's about it.  Can't get to the bios, can't do ANYTHING.  Tried unplugging it for a while, pressing power 10 times, holding power down for a minute, ran the battery entirely dry THEN discharged the caps, ...I've read many solutions where its the built up static charge that's the problem, but not here.  I've tried all versions of the solution I could find, all very similar, but none worked.  I took out my RAM and put it back in, and same for the hard drive.  No dice.

The only lights I get at all are the power light, and the battery charging light next to it.  Can't get the CAPS LOCK, num lock, any of that to do anything.  Cannot boot by CD/DVD as I cannot change the bios, and can't get any response from any keys or key combos that I can think of (including the one-touch restore).

Any advice?  What can I try here to get this sucker going again?  

borisoreilly
Paper Tape
Views: 22,590
Message 2 of 20

Re: G555-0873 Black screen, No splash, no bios, not even caps lock lights

any help? thoughts or ideas?
Retired Guru
Views: 22,578
Message 3 of 20

Will it boot to bios Without the hard drive?
borisoreilly
Paper Tape
Views: 22,575
Message 4 of 20

I've tried starting it without the hard drive, without the CD drive, without one and then both memory slots, no difference.  Cannot get to bios.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 22,562
Message 5 of 20

if you have vga or hdmi cable, give a shot. but, my opinion, it sounds like there is something wrong with the mainboard - something serious- and you'll probably need replacement. at this point, better to call support line.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
khizhny
Paper Tape
Views: 21,944
Message 6 of 20

Hello! Today I have exactly the same problem. Black screen and only two lights. no bios screen. For the last 2 days I was managed to boot notebook several times afrter several restart attempts. But now it died completely. Smiley Sad 

How did you fixed it? What was wrong? Motherboard? Do I have to go to service center?

mukeshbiyani
What's DOS?
Views: 21,922
Message 7 of 20

Hi All,

Even I am facing the same issue with my Lenovo G555 0873 laptop, since last 2 months.

Most of the times, it does not even show the Bios screen, caps lock does not work after I power it on. 

I tried changing Power settings and downloaded and re-installed all the drivers from Lenovo support website -- but none of these solutions worked, so far. 

However after several tries the laptop does boot up. But this is not consistent.

I called Lenovo support -- they mentioned there are no known manufacturer defects for this model. Anyways my laptop is not in warranty period. 

Theta01
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,040
Message 8 of 20

IdeaPad G555 - sceen turns blask after few seconds, can read with flashlight

Hello,

I am not a native speaker, so I hope, this will be understandable. Smiley Happy

I have IdeaPad G555, 2 and half years old. Few day ago, the screen suddenly turned black during login after sleep. the screen was still vidible, but only with strong flashlight. I was very confused, co I restarted PC, without succes. This time I was able to login, but before everything loaded, black creen happened again. I used magic combination FN+F2 (shutdown screen) twice as to restart it and it helped for about 2 sec, than black again. If I did this immediately after turning black, the screen just flashed and become black again.

So I tried Ubuntu insted of Win 7, but the problem remains. So I flashed BIOS to newer version, without succes. Out of desperation I reinstalled graphic driver and after restart, it helped. The PC ran few hours without problem. Until I turned it ON the other day when the problem reappeared. I didn't manage to google anything, so I called support (my warranty is off) and that guy said, he had similar problem with desktop. In his case, it was capacitors in his monitor, so he repaired it at home. But in my case, it will problably be capacitors on motherboard, in which case I'd have to replace it whole, which is quite costly.

So please, can you give me an advice, what I should do/try to repair it? I am already considering buying a new one, but this one got quite attached to my heart... Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 21,029
Message 9 of 20

Re: IdeaPad G555 - sceen turns blask after few seconds, can read with flashlight

@theta01

you can try the suggestions above but my opinion it's dead mainboard and considering to buy new one would be easy.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Theta01
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,020
Message 10 of 20

Re: IdeaPad G555 - sceen turns blask after few seconds, can read with flashlight

Thank you,

but in the cases above, nothing works. In my case, everything works fine, but the screen is dim as hell. So I think my problem is one of different kind, not related to model.

Top Kudoed Authors