Did you mean: 
MITE83
Paper Tape
Views: 1,329
Message 1 of 7

G560 Keyboard suddenly stopped after cleaning

Hi

This is my first msg in this community.

today i have cleaned my lenovo G560 Keyboard with a soft napkin and medical alcohol (ethanol).

only the touchable volume and power buttons are working ,

is my keyboard dead ?

if not , any help will be apprechiated.

thanks

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,309
Message 2 of 7

Re: G560 Keyboard suddenly stopped after cleaning

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Did you happen to pour or spill the alcohol on the keyboard ?  I would assume that you just dampened the cloth and then wiped the keys. 

Since you probably wiped each individual key, is it possible one or more of the keys are stuck down ? 

When you cleaned the keyboard was the machine turned off versus it being in hibernation or sleeping.  If it wasn't completely shut down, try this.........

Unplug the charger adapter, remove the battery and press the Power Button for 10 - 15 seconds.  Then re-install the battery, plug in the charger adapter if needed and power up the laptop and see if the keyboard is functional.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

MITE83
Paper Tape
Views: 1,291
Message 3 of 7

Thanks dear for your kind reply

i can assure that ethanol did not pour on any keys, but the cloth that i have used was saturated with ethanol so maybe some drops falled into the keyboard.

i have tried your suggested solution but unfortunately nothing has been changed,

nothing that my G560 was off but i did not remove the battery during the cleaning.

meanwhile, do you think that my keyboard would work again after a while......or it is dead ?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,277
Message 4 of 7

At this point it is difficult to say if it will work again or if the laptop will need further service. 

If a couple of drops of alcohol fell in the keyboard it really shouldn't cause any harm.  A drop or two would have evaporated after a short period of time.

I am assuming that the Power Button will boot up the laptop.  Have you tried plugging in a USB keyboard to see it that works ?  Also can you access the BIOS Setup by pressing the F2 key during boot up ?  Also tap each key on the keyboard to insure that it is moving as it should. 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

MITE83
Paper Tape
Views: 1,258
Message 5 of 7

Thanks a lot my dear ..

I followed your tips, and yesterday morning I got my full Keyboard back to action.

and that what I did:

-  I brought a sharp tool and lifted each key just a few millimeters up.

-  I blowed on the entire keys by a hair dryer ( without heating )

then I turned the Lenovo on, and got the surprise , 

Honestly, only a few keys did not work after the above mentioned steps ( Main Enter, Backspace , ] and \ ) so I repeated the procedure again and  again till they eventually back to action ,

Thanks a lot once again and Happy New Year 2015

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,252
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for posting back with an update.  I'm glad to hear the problem has been resolved. 

In the future you may want to avoid cleaning the keyboard with alcohol as it maybe softening some of the plastic/vinyl/rubber parts thus causing them to stick.  What I use to clean my computers is a glass cleaner like Glass Plus.  Glass Plus for example is ammonia free so it is safe to use on the LCD screens as well.  Just spray on a towel or rag and wipe.

Happy New Year !

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,245
Message 7 of 7

Did you pour the cleaner directly on the keypad or dampen the napkin and wipe the keys down? Also - I would recommend using computer air (canned) to blow out the keyboard and remove any remaining cleaning solution and the debris that may have been loosened up.

Also - I would reccomend never applying liquid of any type to powered devices, as it may short out and destroy the device.

UPDATE:  My internet was slow in posting the other replys... I am glad your situation was fixed and your notebook has returned to working condition.  Would advise against using hair drier or other similar device to "blow" air into computer or similar equipment.  It can embed debris at high velocity into soft rubber or silicone components, even underneath soldered components.  Using clean canned air is the best bet.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors