cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 1,905

Question

For the last two days or so, my Lenovo G560 laptop (running Windows 7, 64-bit, BIOS 2.10) has had problems with its (wired) network adapter after waking up from hibernation. It is shown as disconnected (same as if the cable was physically detached). The only major change I performed in the last few days was installing Service Pack 1. However, the problem only appeared about two days afterwards, so I'm not sure if this is related at all.

In such cases, IPCONFIG reports the following for the NIC:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

If I try IPCONFIG /RENEW, I get

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Hovering over the tray icon says "Not connected". Troubleshooting of course doesn't find anything. Also, there are no weird entries in Event Viewer (unless they're hidden somewhere in other views). Basically the behavior is identical to when the network cable is physically disconnected (unplugged).

Also, unplugging the network cable, waiting a few minutes, and plugging it back again doesn't do anything.

For now I have two workarounds:

-rebooting the system

-right-clicking Local Area Connection (under Network Connections), selecting DISABLE from the menu, waiting for a few moments, and then choosing the ENABLE from the context menu.

Is there any better solution to this? Any speculations on what could be the reason for this problem all of a sudden?

Answer

This could be caused by power management settings - the Wifi being turned off and not automatically re-enabled upon resume.  As a test / work around, try the following:

Right click my computer > manage > device management > network adapters > select wireless adapter > properties > on power management tab clear the check box for power save " allow the computer to turn off this device to save power ".

Was this information helpful?