Did you mean: 
Kvikkvik
Paper Tape
Views: 362
Message 1 of 8

G560 shutting down instead of restarting and fan always on 100%

Hello, I have Lenovo G560 and cca a month ago notebook started to do this:

• Fan is running always on max speed after I boot system and never slow down
  • When I want to restart my pc it always do: Win goes down and then freeze with black screen for 5 sec and then shut down.

I made clean Win 10 Pro instalation with formatting HDD - no change.

I flushed BIOS and EC from 2.08 to 2.15, downgraded to 2.03 upgraded to 2.15 again - no change.

I have no other idea what else to do.

Thanks for any suggestion.

SeniorGuru
Views: 343
Message 2 of 8

Re: G560 shutting down instead of restarting and fan always on 100%

It sounds like there might be some missing drivers, and I would suggest download and install chipset drivers (from intel or AMD as appropriate), then also install Lenovo energy management software.

I would also look into your Device manager for any yellow or red bang marks on devices, and any unknown devices and apply drivers as needed.

Update this posting with results.

Good luck.
CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Kvikkvik
Paper Tape
Views: 338
Message 3 of 8

Hi, I installed latest Intel chipset for this notebook 9.1.1.1020, then energy management tool 8.0.2.20 without any succsess. 

There is no unknown hardware, yellow or red flags on the device manager, all drivers are up to date.

Fan is still running max, CPU temperatures are under 40 degrees (38), no aplications running.

SeniorGuru
Views: 325
Message 4 of 8

Did you try resetting the BIOS to defaults - the power drain procedure? If not - try removing the battery and AC adapter, then press and hold down the power key for 30 seconds. Once completed re-install the battery then AC power and boot using the Novo key, enter BIOS and set defaults, then save and exit.

Also - take some canned air and blow out the vents to remove dust from the heatsinks.

Once completed, let us know if the problem still exists.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Kvikkvik
Paper Tape
Views: 305
Message 5 of 8

hi, first of all - cleaning dust was the first idea i had, I did it and all the heatsinks are clean and free. 

I can't run OneKey Recovery. I installed it but it's unable to run - initialization of driver failed - try to install again (did it twice)

I made the power drain procedure and set the defaults in BIOS without any change...

SeniorGuru
Views: 294
Message 6 of 8

Can you get windows to start up and run for a bit before it shuts down? If so, then an issue might be that the heatsink thermal past has failed, or is failing to cool down the CPU enough and thus the thermal protection circuit is shutting down the unit.

You can check to see if the output air of the fan is cool, warm or hot. If running full blast and is cool then it is not draining the heat from the CPU as it should.

CB

Kvikkvik
Paper Tape
Views: 290
Message 7 of 8

Win doesn't shut down itself unexpectedly. It works normally days without problem. It only shuts down instead of restart when I push "restart". 

Fan is going all the time on max speed - air is cool, temperatures are usually 35 - 38 °C CPU, cca 40°C graphic card Nvidia and cca 32°C mother board. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 281
Message 8 of 8

Sounds like there may be a few issues, one is windows power managment (Power Off, Restart, Hibernate...) has been corrupted, or modified somehow. This can be changed in Windows Settings, or by searching Shut Down options from Cortana.

Second - if Lenovo Energy Manager (or latest version of it) has not been installed correctly it can certainly mess with the fan, and the power off issues.

Lastly - if the thermal interface (thermal paste) between the heatsink and the CPU / GPU has failed, or is failing it may signal the fan controller on the system board to run at full speed regardless. This could also be a hardware issue with the onboard temp sensors not reporting correctly.

I would try adjusting the Windows Power Button settings, then look into advanced power / battery savings and other windows operating system settings for power management first, then Lenovo Power Manager settings. If they appear to be correct, re-install Lenovo drivers, energy manager with latest version.

If you have already performed these steps, running "Windows Refresh" may be one to try, but back up your data first.

If all else fails, the last thing to try would involve replacing the thermal paste on the CPU / GPU or if under warranty, send it in for the service techs to repair / replace the HSF, or even the system board.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors