Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjfab189
Paper Tape
Views: 878
Message 1 of 5

G560 will not power on; have tried the tricks

Hello!

I recently found my old G560 packed away and wanted to get it running again. It has been sitting for maybe over a year, so the power was depleted. I charged it for hours until the battery light was blue instead of red. When I tried to power on, the power light came on but the laptop did not. 

I have tried the many "press the power button 10 times with the battery out" things, but nothing seems to work. Since the computer is from 2010, I do not have the warranty on it anymore. If anyone can help that would be great!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 838
Message 2 of 5

Re: G560 will not power on; have tried the tricks

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Have you tried removing the battery and powering it up just with the adapter / charger?

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

jjfab189
Paper Tape
Views: 833
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your response! I have tried powering it on with the battery removed, and it still will not power on. I hoped that leaving it charging overnight would help but I guess not!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 825
Message 4 of 5

It is very possible that during the extended period of inactivity that the CMOS battery on the motherboard died.  Try leaving it plugged in again and see if the CMOS battery will recover.  I would do this with the main battery removed so that it doesn't continue to charge unnecessarily.

As for changing the CMOS battery, on your model the CMOS battery is soldered directly to the motherboard.  To change would take some soldering skills.  The link below is for a G560 motherboard on eBay.  If you look at the back side of the motherboard you will see the CMOS.  It will be the white disk to the lower left of center.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-G560-Intel-Laptop-Motherboard-NIWE2-LA-5752P-11011892-/131743067645?h...

I would also try removing all the hardware from the laptop.  Removed the hard drive, memory, optical drive, wireless card, etc and then see if it will show some signs of life.  Possibly a hardware item failed and this preventing power up.  Your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual will explain how to remove the various items.  That manual can be found at the link below......

https://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/G460-G560/Lenovo%...

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

jjfab189
Paper Tape
Views: 803
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for your response! I will have to try these steps when I have the time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors