Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

G575 upgrade options

I bought my son a G575 for Christmas, thinking that even the most modest laptop would suffice for the simple online games he plays, but apparently not so.  It has the AMD C-50 processor and is painfully slow.  I have tried optimising the graphics for game playing but it still struggles.

So I'm wondering what I can do to upgrade.   I was hoping to be able to overclock the processor (it's used mainly on mains power) but I've found no evidence that this can be done.   Is it worth, I wonder, upgrading the RAM from 4Gb to 8Gb?  Finally, is it possible to upgrade the processor to an E-450?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Topics: 422
Kudos: 1,442
Solutions: 319
0 Kudos

Re: G575 upgrade options

nsutherland,

If you are running Win 7 32 bit, then upgrading the memory to 8GB won't help, if you are running 64 bit it would be recognized.  Unless you have a lot of applications loaded, I'm not sure going to 8GB buys you that much, but others may have contrary opinons.  Certainly going from 1 to 2 or 2 to 4 would have more telling results.

Upgrading the HDD could help - fitting a 7200 model or even an SSD could boost performance.

But, before you throw money into the hardware, perhaps you can speed things up by doing a bit of housecleaning.  How many applications & processes are loaded up?  Anything loading up at boot that you really don't need?

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Thanks for your comments. 

I'm running 64-bit Windows so the extra RAM will be recognised but, as you say, I'm not sure it will make a lot of difference.

The software setup is pretty minimal and I've tidied up the registry, so I don't know that there's much more I can do without a hardware upgrade.

Highlighted
Community Moderator

[ Edited ]

as I experienced, some amd chipsets are slower than intel and as mark said, installing the ram will make some difference on performance but i believe there will be not much difference.

about upgrading cpu, you can take a look at the document below for supported devices. 

hope this helps.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/uk/en/UserGuide/Guide_show_1319029486729.html

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link to the maintenance manual.  I haven't been able to read it yet because the file appears to be damaged, but I've reported it and hope it will be fixed soon Smiley Happy

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

CPU upgrade for Lenovo G575

[ Edited ]

Can i upgrade my CPU for my g575? I got 1,3 Ghz! When i play games i got about 15-18 fps :X

Punch Card
0 Kudos

Re: CPU upgrade for Lenovo G575

No AMD Ontario (C-series) or Zacate (E-series) chipsets are upgradeable. A very modest overclock is possible for some with an unlocked BIOS, but its almost nothing as its done through the clock generator. Maybe 100Mhz at most.
What's DOS?
0 Kudos

Re: CPU upgrade for Lenovo G575

[ Edited ]

I got a similar issue so I figured I'd post it here.

I got this laptop for mostly work related stuff and some light gaming but the processor is complete garbage making it hard to do either on it. I have already upgraded the memory and have gone through the standard steps (cleaning the registry, removing unused programs, Etc.) and have had no luck in speeding up the CPU (AMD E-350).

The Windows Assessment shows my Ram, Hard drive speed, and graphics all above 5.5, But the processor is stuck at a Measely 3.7 and opening a simple program like Firefox or Media Player Classic immediately shoots my CPU to around 70%. I need to be able to have multiple programs running for my job and as soon as I open any two or more programs, My CPU is maxed out and my computer turns to slop, not to mention the computer also has Windows 7 64 Bit which already takes a lot of memory and CPU.

Is there anyway to speed it up short short of replacing the processor or laptop?

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

The link you gave seems to be broken, do you know if I can upgrade the cpu on my g575, as it is so slow! And gaming is almost impossible.
Any help would be appreciated.
What's DOS?
0 Kudos

Since nobody has actually answered this question, I'll take a stab at it.

No. The processor is soldered in place. Not in a socket.

How did I come to this conclusion:

I removed the back cover, processor cooling fan and heatsink. Voila! Soldered-in processor.

Have a great day!