Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sulthekk
Blue Screen Again
Views: 24,634
Message 1 of 12

G580 BIOS update sets password?

Help needed!

I have recently downloaded a BIOS update for the G580 - version 20150, and ever since that I am locked out of the BIOS setup menu. It asks for a password, however I haven't set up one, and such, I am unable to change any of the settings.

Changing the values there would be important, because the settings seem to be reset to a default state, for example, I am unable to start any 64bit virtual machines because hardware virtualization is disabled. That's a shame because I was running Qubes OS too, but I am also unable to boot off legacy (MBR partitioned) devices, which I do occasionally to test some new Linux distro when it comes out.

Apropos Linux: as soon as the system starts booting, the screen goes completely blank, and I have to keep pressing brightness-up to see if the system had started. Brightness controls also seem to behave strange under MS Windows too: on the lowest level instead of dimming (what it did before), the screen goes completely blank. The only good thing in this update is that bluetooth now seems to work more reliable under Linux.

Is there a way to remove the password lock from the BIOS and/or revert to the previous version to avoid the screen blanking issue? Would reverting the update also remove the password?

If the password can't be removed, is there a safe way to change the settings from a running OS?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if I seem to be whining, but this problem is driving me crazy.

Sulthekk

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 24,530
Message 2 of 12

Re: G580 BIOS update sets password?

hi Sulthekk,

Welcome to the Community.

This is unusual as I've never seen a BIOS update automatically creates a power-on password on Lenovo units. Have you already reported this issue by contacting the lenovo support?

Regarding your queries:

1. Removing a BIOS password can only be done by an authorized lenovo technician (unit must be sent for service) and AFAIk, you can't flash the BIOS if it has a password (the password must be cleared first before hand).

2. If the BIOS supports backflash (some mobo's have this feature hidden), check this article:

BIOS Crisis recovery for some IdeaPad laptops

3. If the Lenovo G580 came a Windows 8 preload with UEFI BIOS, you need to disable UEFI to boot from legacy OS (Windows 7 and below, Linux, etc.) and fix the blackscreen issue. This feature can only be set in the BIOS and can't be done inside an OS.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Sulthekk
Blue Screen Again
Views: 24,520
Message 3 of 12

Hi neokenchi,

Thank you for the answer.

I haven't contacted Lenovo Support - yet. I first wanted to know if there's anyone else with the same issue and if he/she has found a solution. I guess that's because I'm used to the community support most Linux distros provide.

When I try to load http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Tech-Exchange-Knowledge-Base/BIOS-Crisis-recovery-for-some-IdeaPad-lapto..., I get the message "Sorry, you do not have sufficient privileges for that action."

I guess I am "too new" and the forum engine blocks me from accessing advanced content - like hidden features.

The notebook came with no OS preinstalled - I like to create my own environment from scratch, and it's cheaper without the OEM windows license. I have been able to use both MBR and EFI/GPT booting before the update.

The password isn't a power-on one, it's a superuser one. I am able to boot OSes (in case they have working EFI bootloader[s], but I am unable to change any of the settings.

Thank you for your support.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 24,547
Message 4 of 12

hi Sulthekk,

The article above contains mixed contents from the threads below:

Bios Recovery For ideapad laptops

INSYDE BIOS recovery method

Also, the superuser password is most likely the Administrator password for the BIOS. I've seen this issue before on another laptop brand and the only way to fix it is to have it serviced (there's no master / default password, etc.). I recommend you contact lenovo at the soonest time to get the issue rectified.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Sulthekk
Blue Screen Again
Views: 24,491
Message 5 of 12

Hi neokenchi,

Thank you for the answer. While the INSYDE stuff seems to be related, I guess you're right that the only proper way to remove the lock is to have it serviced.

Thank you for you help.

Sulthekk

Babel2
Punch Card
Views: 23,708
Message 6 of 12

I got same problem by "5ecn96ww.exe."

Sulthekk
Blue Screen Again
Views: 23,682
Message 7 of 12

I'm sorry to hear that, though I haven't been able to resolve it yet. The Support asked me to try some combinations like 'lenovo' or 'password', which didn't work. They said they are searching for a solution, but I'm still having the problem.

As for the other problems: The linux startup-brightness problem can be resolved by setting the acpi control to 'vendor', and osi to 'linux' via kernel parameters ( there are a few guides for this on the internet, seems to be a problem with newer UEFIs - especially the ones which are "updated" for windows 8 ).

There also seems to be a problem with EFI/GPT booting, as only a few bootloaders (the ones supplied with Fedora or openSuSe are working fine, Ubuntu derivatives for example, aren't) work if the USB disk has a GPT table.
However all EFI loaders work if the boot disk has an MBR layout, which is strange because EFI and GPT were designed at the same time and to work with each other.
Babel2
Punch Card
Views: 23,660
Message 8 of 12

Hi Sulthekk,

Thank you for your reply.

Today, I have contacted Lenovo support via phone. The conversation took for around 40min.

I did not wait on line to get the rep. It was great service quality!!

I was lucky that the rep was very nice guy. First time, he did not believe the issue. Then I told him this post to get his understanding. He escalated this to higher management for me.

Finally, I’m going to send back my G580 to Lenovo repair center. Of cause, it was on warranty support that he made.

I recalled I had same trouble with ThinkPad R31 more than 10 years ago. Still they have the potential.

I will report for the result!!

G580-User
Blue Screen Again
Views: 19,450
Message 9 of 12

"AFAIk, you can't flash the BIOS if it has a password (the password must be cleared first before hand)."

NOT TRUE!

I download http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/62cn97ww_64.exe and run it!

Now I am locked out of the Notebook!

tavif
Paper Tape
Views: 18,134
Message 10 of 12

Hi, I have a bricked Lenovo G580 (2689). I downloaded a new bios... anybody knows the filename needed for Insyde recovery (Fn+R)?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors