cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rakesh87
What's DOS?
Views: 8,896
Message 31 of 71

Re: [G580] Battery plugged in, not charging!

Hi all,

I had the same problem and the solution by linefly1231 worked. It takes effect after a while, just need to be patient. Thanks linefly1231 for sharing.

Rakesh

kourtaj
What's DOS?
Views: 8,629
Message 32 of 71

@linefly1231 wrote:

I literally just now had this problem, but I fiddled with the battery settings a bit and it was a stupidly simple fix. Though I don't know if this is the same for you, here's what I did.

On the bottom right of your taskbar, click the arrow to show hidden icons. Go into the energy management, it's a blue icon. In the red battery section, click on battery mode and switch it to 'Maximum Battery Life' and your battery should start charging.

Oddly enough, it worked for me.

It worked for me also.

Thanks

apakaba2
What's DOS?
Views: 8,530
Message 33 of 71

What's next if these steps didn't fix the problem? Battery Replacement or AC Adapter replacement? ... Since one thing is battery not working and another thing is AC Adapter not working therefore not charging battery. Besides that I see the power cord shows a little bit of cables exposed. So, please let me know what is next to fix this problem or else let me know which replacement should we talking about. Thank you very much.
covenant
What's DOS?
Views: 8,521
Message 34 of 71

Since the computer will work without the battery even plugged in, as long as the AC adapter is plugged in, I would start with the AC Adapter. An inexpensive and safe way to do this is to take your laptop to a service center, who will have a universal adapter -- which they can set to work for your computer -- and see if the computer turns on. I suggest this because they will  most likely do that much for free, and the problem could be other than your battery OR AC adapter. For instance, it could be that your AC adapter jack is broken or otherwise not functioning. At that point you can see if your battery charges, again following the steps already suggested. If it still doesn't work, then you will likely need a battery replacement.

riqiong
What's DOS?
Views: 8,468
Message 35 of 71

thank you
KCPTECH
What's DOS?
Views: 8,431
Message 36 of 71

I've been seeing this issue all over the forums. I'm surprised an authorized Lenovo Technician hasn't posted the cause and the solution for Lenovo Laptops not wanting to charge their battery, even when battery zero out or a replacement battery is installed.

The issue is actually Microsoft's Fault. Their ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery Driver doesn't work with Smart Batteries. This Driver must be uninstalled and then you will find your Battery Charging.

1.) First with the Laptop Powered Off, Un-Plug the AC adapter from the Laptop.
2.) Remove the Battery.
3.) Connect the AC Adapter back into the Laptop.
4.) Wait about 30 seconds for the Motherboard capacitors to charge and then turn on your laptop. If you don't wait long enough, the power button will be unresponsive.
5.) Once in an Admin Account, Preferably the Net User, Go to the Device Manager and find the Battery. Open up its field and select the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" and uninstall it. The system may prompt for a reboot. In either case, simply order the system to power down.
6.) Once Off, Un-Plug the AC Adapter from the Laptop.
7.) Insert the Battery Back into the Laptop.
8.) Connect the AC Adapter Back into the Laptop.
9.) Wait for 30 seconds then Power on the Laptop.
10.) You should now see the battery charging.

lmattis
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,403
Message 37 of 71

Finally! This new advice from KCPTECH solved the problem for me. Thanks! :-)

(advice republished below)

1.) First with the Laptop Powered Off, Un-Plug the AC adapter from the Laptop.
2.) Remove the Battery.
3.) Connect the AC Adapter back into the Laptop.
4.) Wait about 30 seconds for the Motherboard capacitors to charge and then turn on your laptop. If you don't wait long enough, the power button will be unresponsive.
5.) Once in an Admin Account, Preferably the Net User, Go to the Device Manager and find the Battery. Open up its field and select the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" and uninstall it. The system may prompt for a reboot. In either case, simply order the system to power down.
6.) Once Off, Un-Plug the AC Adapter from the Laptop.
7.) Insert the Battery Back into the Laptop.
8.) Connect the AC Adapter Back into the Laptop.
9.) Wait for 30 seconds then Power on the Laptop.
10.) You should now see the battery charging.

mahmoodsalam
What's DOS?
Views: 8,279
Message 38 of 71

Hi,

My Lenovo G580 is just over 2 years old. Today I discovered that the battery charging has stoppedat 80% and its neither increasing nor decreasing. And it says "plugged in, not charging".

I tried energy management options as I saw on forum.

I also tried "pressing power button after for 30 secs after removing adapter and battery" option. None of them worked.

Kindly Help me and let me know what could be the other possibilities

Thanks Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,239
Message 39 of 71
Moved:

Moved to IdeaPad Y, U, V, Z and P series Laptops Discussion Board

Mark_Colo
What's DOS?
Views: 8,211
Message 40 of 71

After one month of working, I went on vacation and it ceased to charge. The battery would hold steady while plugged in, but not charge. Was down to 28% when I left in-law's house and it started charging again.

This house was built in the 60's and has very few proper 3-prong outlets. While the problem was occurring I tested it on several power strips in the house with no success. But I realize now that those power strips were almost certainly attached to wall outlets that had two-prong adapters that were not tied to the house ground. Now that I am back in the land of modern electricity things are working again but battery life seems a bit shorter, or its my imagination as I only had about a month of experience on this laptop before exposing it to the shady wiring of the home construction circa 1960.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors