cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,965
Message 1 of 3

G580, Elan Drivers (v.15) and Windows 10 64bit issues...

This morning woke up and fired up ol' dependable.... My G580... to check email, log on to my news feed and drink my morning java.

All good until the Windows 10 splash screen showed up...  My keyboard and touchpad were acting as they were not connected.  Drag out USB unifying receiver from Logitech,  attach to USB 3 and wait - no joy.  Attach to the only USB 2 port and it worked, now I have a mouse to work with.

Enabled on screen keyboard from start options (lower right) and was able to enter password, and then log on.  Keyboard and Touchpad totally inoperative, Device Manager showed HID-Keyboard, PS/2 Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse as "unable to start, code 10".  When I looked into the drivers, it was an Elan driver with a version starting with 15. that I had not installed nor downloaded.

I removed the devices from the hardware tree (uninstalling them), removed drivers (or so I believed) but could not install drivers from Lenovo for any items that were showing yellow marks.  Every option I have tried short of refreshing Windows 10 failed to work and all resulted with an inoperative keyboard and touchpad.  The error messages were varied, but most said "incompatible device installed"...

Right now I have resorted to nuking the installed OS (Windows) and am checking on Linux OS - to see if something in the OS core was disrupted.  Will update with results from testing with Linux Mint...

If anyone has been experiencing this kind of problem with Elan auto update to drivers version 15 or later, please chime in.

If there are stable Elan drivers for Windows 10 64 bit I have not found them as of yet for this specific Lenovo notebook.  Anyone that has them, or can point to them please chime in... As long as they are working (Grin).

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,962
Message 2 of 3

Re: G580, Elan Drivers (v.15) and Windows 10 64bit issues...

UPDATE:

Loading from DVD version of Linux Mint, OpenSuSE and Fedora all show a good working keyboard, touchpad and USB ports, so it must be Windows 10 conundrum.... So proceding to "refresh" windows 10 using recovery options, saving documents.

Says - "This operation may take a few minutes to complete, depending on the size of the data stored in user folders.  Please make sure you connect to AC power before continuing"...  Hope it does not take forever to do this, but may be only choice.

UPDATE 2:  The process for refreshing windows 10 took 15 minutes from start to finish, now is "Installing Drivers" and preparing your desktop.

UPDATE 3:  The resotre completed successfully, in 40 minutes from start to login on Windows.  The keyboard and touchpad are back (sort of) so it was a seriously flawed update to the Elan drivers that caused the issue.  I know that the Lenovo / Elan drivers version 11 will work, supplying two finger scroll options and such, so will see if they will install correctly.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,940
Message 3 of 3

Re: G580, Elan Drivers (v.15) and Windows 10 64bit issues...

The only way to recover my keyboard, touchpad and USB 3 ports was to use Windows Recovery option, choosing to save user files.  This reloaded the core OS and drivers from secure storage partition and wiped out the offending drivers, software and settings that I could not see  / access to remove.

All third party software was erased, but there was a document (HTML) on the desktop showing them, with hotlinks to re-install where it possible.

This whole process from discovery to re-install a working desktop OS took approximately 1 hour to complete, and it ended up restoring my keyboard and other hardware completely to working condition.

I will be happy to provide details to others in the same situation - send  me a private message if need be.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors