Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillyGoat
Not applicable
Views: 243
Message 1 of 11

G580 - Hardware Scan Warnings + Related Malfunctioning

Good day all,

A hardware scan through the Lenovo Vantage app resulted in the following two warnings and codes:

TEST_MOTHERBOARD_RTC_TEST:::2.1.3:::r:::1         WMB008000-BN8A4K

TEST_SHORT_SELF_TEST:::1.1.5:::s:::1                         WHD400000-BN8A4K

I often leave my laptop on during the night with audio and video playing on repeat through the Films & Tv app in Windows (Home) 10 however it stops playing. This coincides with the clock stopping. I guess the RTC in the report means Real Time Clock. 

I recently replaced a failing (the original) 1TB HDD with a new Hitachi HDD of the same capacity. It was listed as compatible on the Lenovo website so I'm guessing they are nothing to do with this. I cloned the old drive and transferred its contents to the new drive so it has left doubts in my mind as to whether these warnings may have been caused by a corrupted operating system. Perhaps the solution would be to reinstall the operating system again, I understand there is a facility in windows 10 to do this.

I would be grateful if someone could diagnose what the problems are and if it is not just a case of an operating system reinstall is it something a reasonably competent DIYer could fix i.e me.

Thank you for reading and in anticipation of help.

PS I tried to homogenise the text but it appears the font facility of the forum is not functioning?

CBHedricks
Not applicable
Views: 221
Message 2 of 11

Re: G580 - Hardware Scan Warnings + Related Malfunctioning

RTC is the real time clock settings / battery information and if it is off, just go into BIOS and make the adjustments.

My G580 came with a 500gb drive, 5400rpm and SATA II. If the 1tb drive is 7200rpm that may be the source of the issues, as it would draw more power and generate more heat.

Just a thought.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
BillyGoat
Not applicable
Views: 218
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for your suggestions CB.

My G580 definitely came with a 1tb HDD operating at 5400rpm and the new HDD is operating at the same speed as one would expect if Lenovo lists it as a replacement (please see attachment).

I do not understand why the RTC/battery information would have been disabled in BIOS.  Obviously, it will do no harm to check. Please remind me how to get into it. 

Thanks again.  

sclexman
Not applicable
Views: 211
Message 4 of 11

Short self test warning.

Some HDD do not offer this option.

Update to latest LSC and this test will be grayed out on screen response. I have 3.6.002.

RTC:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/how-do-l-fix-failed-system-bo...

Your BIOS/board time is out of sync with windows time.

Change timezones/use windows adjust date/time.

Right click CLOCK in taskbar. Select adjust date/time.

Maybe replace CMOS battery.

BillyGoat
Not applicable
Views: 200
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for your help sciexman.

What is LSC? I have used the update facility in Lenovo Vantage and there were no updates to download.

That leads me on to another thing. I have the free version of Driver Booster which frequently informs me of driver updates for my hardware when the Lenovo update tells me there are none. What's going on here and is it best to ignore Driver Booster or download the updates? 

The date and time including the time zone were fine. Can someone tell me how to get into the BIOS, please?

sclexman
Not applicable
Views: 197
Message 6 of 11

LSC=Lenovo Solution Center

BillyGoat
Not applicable
Views: 195
Message 7 of 11

Thanks, just downloaded, got the same version as you. I'm confused, there seems to be an overlap in the functionality of LSC and Lenovo Vantage?

Will try the hardware scan in LSC and see what that comes up with.  

sclexman
Not applicable
Views: 193
Message 8 of 11

Under the covers, Vantage uses a subset of LSC software.

Note: To enter BIOS setup utility, press F2 when the Lenovo logo appears on the screen while
the computer is starting up.

BillyGoat
Not applicable
Views: 178
Message 9 of 11

"Under the covers, Vantage uses a subset of LSC software"

What does that mean in practical terms?

Pressing F2 when the Lenovo logo appears on startup does nothing?

sclexman
Not applicable
Views: 160
Message 10 of 11

To put it in simple terms, Vantage and Lenovo Solution Center use the same software  modules for a hardware scan.

If you are windows 10, turn off FAST STARTUP.

https://www.windowschimp.com/windows-10-tutorials-66-how-to-enable-or-disable-fast-startup/

Now try to use F2 at start up to get into the BIOS. You may have to try this several times, and hit F2 over and over and over, at bootup time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors