cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
egad1968
Paper Tape
Views: 1,504
Message 1 of 5

G580 Laptop Restore after Getting Stuck in "Preparing for Automatic Repair" Loop

My G580 was working great, best laptop I've ever has so far. Then when I went to use it the other night, as soon as I opened it up, it showed the Lenovo Logo and said "Preparing for Automatic Repair" then after a few seconds it would change to "Diagnosing Your PC" and get stuck there. I tried several options I found online for a hard reset to no avail. Then I discovered F12 me to the boot menu and I chose recovery. I was warned I would lose everything but thankfully I had made and image backup, on an external HDD, using the Lenovo Solution Center, not OKR. My trouble now is I can't find any help online about how to use the backup I made.

On my HDD I have files numbered from 0001 to 0327, 3 .dsi files, a BIN file and an OKI Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions or explain the process to me?

Thank you

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,483
Message 2 of 5

Re: G580 Laptop Restore after Getting Stuck in "Preparing for Automatic Repair" Loop

hi egad1968,

Welcome to the Forums.

Just to verify, if the machine came with Windows 7 and you ran the  Lenovo Solution Center's Backup feature, did you choose Lenovo Rescue and Recovery to do the backup?

Link to picture

From the files that you listed, it seems like you've chosen the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery tool. If this is the case,, you need to have Rescue and Recovery® and see step 5-8 of this guide to restore your files.

Rescue and Recovery™ 4.2 - Considerations

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

egad1968
Paper Tape
Views: 1,463
Message 3 of 5

Re: G580 Laptop Restore after Getting Stuck in "Preparing for Automatic Repair" Loop

Thanks for the reply.

It actually came with Windows 8 and I had upgraded to 8.1 but now it is back to 8 since the restore.

I am not sure if I chose the Lenovo R&R tool but when I got home tonight I looked and didn't see any R&R. So I went to the guide links you gave me and they were all for Windows 7, so Isearched for all available things for my laptop model and Windows 8 and there is only an OKR download.

I'm not sure what else I can do.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,444
Message 4 of 5

hi egad1968,

Can you please check these guides amd see if it reads the files on your backup:

Backup - Restore Files and Folders from in Windows 8

System Image Recovery - Restore Image on Computer in Windows 8

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

egad1968
Paper Tape
Views: 1,435
Message 5 of 5

Re G580 restore

Hello,
I am having trouble getting back into our conversation. It says I am logged in but then it prompts me to link my account and when i try to do that it says the account is already linked.

I did try the system image recovery guide and the screenshot shows as far as I was able to get.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors