cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahmadh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,037
Message 1 of 4

G580 - Lenovo OneKey Rescue button is not working (acting like a power button)

I bought my Lenovo G580 more than 3 years ago, and it came with Windows 8.

For a certain reason, my coworker installed on it windows 7.

I tried to restore it to the original image by using the Novo OneKey Rescue button next to the power button... but unfortunately it didn't work... when i press the Novo button, four (4) choices appear on the screen:

- Normal Setup

- BIOS Setup

- Boot Menu

- System Recovery

When i press "System Recovery", windows 7 starts normally without recovering anything...

Is there any way to restore my Laptop to the original factory software???

Thank you in advance...

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,023
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo OneKey Rescue button is not working (acting like a power button)

Your One Key Recovery (OKR) button is working, but most likely the recovery partition that contained the necessary files was removed or destroyed during the install of Windows 7.

You have a couple of options:
1. Contact Lenovo Support by phone, ask if the recovery DVD's are still available and purchase them, it is a reasonable price...

2. Purchase the retail DVD of Windows (7, 8.1 or 10) and perform a fresh install.

3. Pick a Linux version you like - download and burn to DVD, then install from media.

I personally use Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint (Dual Boot) on my G580 with no hardware issues in either OS... Really like some of the applications that Linux has, and the fact that it is completely free to use.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
ahmadh
Paper Tape
Views: 988
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply...

Do you really think that the recovery partition was wiped?? I am not sure that Lenovo would incorporate a factory reset partition that has an option of getting erased.

Let's suppose that the partition cannot be read by Windows 7, but is still there, can a Linux Live CD solve this and uncover this hidden partition?

I am not a Linux expert, but what version do you recommend the most?

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 979
Message 4 of 4

@ahmadh wrote:

Thanks for the reply...

Do you really think that the recovery partition was wiped?? I am not sure that Lenovo would incorporate a factory reset partition that has an option of getting erased.

Let's suppose that the partition cannot be read by Windows 7, but is still there, can a Linux Live CD solve this and uncover this hidden partition?

I am not a Linux expert, but what version do you recommend the most?

When an OS installs it will assume control of the entire hard disk, not just unallocated space.  There is a dialog that will prompt you to make a selection of partitions, or use the entire disk for the install.  If you do not read this carefully, or just hit next Windows deletes all partitions on the disk and reformats it for NTFS use.

If the partition is intact, Linux can see it using gparted or similar program.  Unlocking it is not something you can easily do in Linux, but it would be possible.  Windows Drive Management app can see hidden partitions but will not let you unlock it.

If the partition has not been deleted, but was "compressed" to allow Linux more rum to operate it would cause problems as well - ones that would not be reversable.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Top Kudoed Authors