Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spwalker
Paper Tape
Views: 119
Message 1 of 5

G580: Problem after FAN replacement

Hello,

I had to replace the FAN as original was broken.

I ordered the same FAN from Chinese site and replaced it.

This new FAN works cool and quiet as expected but the laptop seems not to be able to detect the FAN speed at startup.

When I power it on the FAN speeds up and lights go on for 1-2 seconds and then off.

Then again and again and eventually it starts just fine on 1-st or 3-rd or N-th attempts. Once started it's rock solid.

I looked in BIOS for option to ignore FAN speed detection like in other computers but there's not such.

I updated to the latest BIOS and it's still the same (https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/62cn44ww_64.exe).

Can you please help?

SeniorGuru
Views: 72
Message 2 of 5

Re: G580: Problem after FAN replacement

Try clearing out CMOS by draining power... Shut of notebook normally, then remove battery and AC power. Once done, press down and hold down power button for 30 seconds to drain onboard reserve power.

Boot up notebook computer using Novo button, choose BIOS from list then set defaults, save and exit.

This should reboot the notebook in normal boot mode, check for working / solved issue and report back in.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
spwalker
Paper Tape
Views: 70
Message 3 of 5

This was the first thing I tried even before posting here.
SeniorGuru
Views: 61
Message 4 of 5

This may be a bad or non-standard fan situation. Even with identical markings, some are knock off cheap ones. On the other hand, you just may have gotten one that was bad out of the box.

I would contact the seller and have them send out a replacement to see if that changes anything.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
spwalker
Paper Tape
Views: 50
Message 5 of 5

I consider your suggestion.
What bothers me:
1. I've waited for 2 months to receive the FAN;
2. The FAN is the same as the original and works fine.
3. Even after waiting another 2 months chances are the next may be the same.
I thinks the issue is simply the FAN turns a bit (or at the limit) slower than BIOS expects upon initial start. As you may well know it is common issue with many PCs when replacing original FAN and usually we are presented with the option in BIOS to ignore the FAN speed which is not possible with G580 BIOS or it is hidden setting.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors