cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorGuru
Views: 99
Message 11 of 14

Re: G580 Reinstall Help

The last think I would try is to hook up a external monitor to see information (if possible) that would tell us if the LCD screen on the notebook has failed, or has the back lights out.

As far as official support goes, this is a peer to peer forum, and all help offered is based on personal experience and knowledge with systems to provide what help we can.

I have several Lenovo products along with Acer, Dell and even a few HP units working in my shop, and all have their share of issues. No one brand is perfect, nor are all support options the same. If you are working with a "dated" computing product you are going to hit issues with failing hardware that may not be easily resolved short of throwing it on a service bench.

If you can, contact Lenovo Support to see if they have a LCD cable, or can point you in the direction of a replacement system board. This may be the only thing left to explore.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
preston215
Paper Tape
Views: 82
Message 12 of 14

IF your display is still working... can you get to the bios setup page, i.e. you hold the "OneKey" down and the boot choices appear, one of them being BIOS Setup. I may have the exact names wrong but you should be able to figure it out. 1) Get to the BIOS Setup page; 2) You need to change everything to Legacy... (there are only 2 choices)
3) Then in the boot order, the number 1 is where you want to move the USB HDD to the number 1 position 1) USB HDD. NOW your system will boot to the USB drive. (Be sure you have have downloaded the Windows update file(s) to it). This is the process I had to perform to re-install Windows on my system, this works if you do it right. Be sure to return the boot settings back to how you found them.
Leftie
Paper Tape
Views: 77
Message 13 of 14

I covered very early on in this thread, that that option did not work. Indeed, the entire option to go to BIOS did nothing but restart the laptop, and not into BIOS mode, but back into Windows.

I've had time to try again today.
Here is what i have learnt.
The laptops own monitor does not display anything.
The HDMI port does not output anything.
The VGA port does not output anything.
The system fan turns on at power on, but turns off about 7-8 seconds later. I don't know if this is by design (ie: only runs when the CPU is hot) or indicitive of a fault or shutdown.
The DVD drive remains powered, and the button to open the drive works until the laptop is manually powered down again, it still works after the fan shuts off.
The status light on the top of the laptop remains lit throughout the entire process of nothing occuring on either display ports, and after the fan shuts off.It remains lit until the system is manually powered off.

I've used a USB drive with a status indicator on it. It didn't light up at all, indicating it wasn't read.
To check the ports were working, I used a USB checker. All of the ports were receiving power, at the usual 5.0v, and plugging anything into the USB checker, reported a constant 0.00A flow. Which to me seems to indicate its powering the USB ports, but isn't making use of them, if iti sn't passing any current to the device. Which would also explain the USB flash drive not even flashing. Usually when you plug it into a device, or a device first powers up, the light on it flashes as the USB is quickly read one time as it identifies itself.

Unfortunately, I cannot attempt to boot from DVD. It's been a long time since I used optical media or had anything that could burn to them, as I now use flash drives, or my phone when i need to transfer data or boot remotely.

SeniorGuru
Views: 44
Message 14 of 14

At this point I would have to say that it is pointing to an issue with the main system board. In this case, all that I can say is see if Lenovo Support can ID what board is in your system then see if they have a hot spare they can send you, or if under warranty they can set up and RMA service to have it fixed.

If not under warranty the only option left would be to see what they would charge to replace the board or what it would cost to purchase and install yourself.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors