cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grace-wignall
Blue Screen Again
Views: 403
Message 1 of 2

G580 Windows 8.1 update has now loaded Microsoft 2010 and I don't have the product key

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to this, so hopefully I'm doing things right.

I have a G580 laptop which was bought part-used and is about 9 months old. It had Windows 8 pre-loaded when I bought it. Then when I downloaded the Windows 8.1 update it also downloaded Microsoft 2010 - I don't even know what version was on the laptop prior to the update. However, when I have tried to open Microsoft 2010 it asked for the Product Key, which we don't have. I am sure that the laptop has all legitimate software loaded, but we don't have any disks etc.

Is there a legal/appropriate way to resolve this, otherwise we can't use Word etc at the moment. I woud have thought that checks would have been made at the time of the update to verify that the laptop had a legitimate software licence, but this doesn't appear to be how it works, ie why would it download and remove what was already there?!

As you can probably tell from the question, I am pretty much a novice at these things, but hopefully someone can help.

Please try to help if you can.

Many thanks for your help. Grace

Mrsccc
What's DOS?
Views: 124
Message 2 of 2

Re: G580 Windows 8.1 update has now loaded Microsoft 2010 and I don't have the product key

I called Lenovo today and was told, in no uncertain terms, that I must PURCHASE a recovery disk to get the key for Windows 8. The price was $69.99. Since the laptop came with Windows preinstalled, Lenovo will not give the Windows key. My harddrive crashed and had to be replaced. I was running Windows 10 at the time. Lenovo would not help me in any way since my laptop was out of warrenty. Microsoft gave me a Windows 10 .iso file so I could boot and use the computer. Microsoft told me in order to download the complete Windows 10 OS I would need the product key from Lenovo. Microsoft said I should insist. I did insist, but to no avail. I told the tech person on the phone that I have 3 Lenovo products in my home and his answer would determine whether or not I ever purchase another one. I am moving up the chain of command to get the Windows key and will let you know of my progress.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors