cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcandria
Paper Tape
Views: 360
Message 1 of 3

G580 : cracked screen, how to boot on VGA or HDMI ?

Hi, I wish to reinstall my computer, but it happens that I have cracked the screen, rendering it unusable. I still use it on the TV screen with HDMI, with no problem. VGA works too.

My goal though is to bring the BIOS interface to one of those screens, without touching anything in the screen itself : i saw that people managed to do it by unplugging totally the screen, to make VGA out the default monitor.

The final aim would be to boot to a USB key and reinstall Smiley Happy

Thanks for advice - I tried every combination of Fn and else and nothing worked.

SeniorGuru
Views: 354
Message 2 of 3

Re: G580 : cracked screen, how to boot on VGA or HDMI ?

Replacement LCD screens are fairly inexpensive on the Open Market.  You have several options to choose from in the service manual parts list.  The instructions to change out the screen are straight forward, and providing you know the difference between standard and phillips screw drivers you should be fine.

As to making the external port active a boot time for BIOS - that may not be possible as I could not find a setting to make that happen with my G580.  It would have to be a boot option in BIOS settings not from within Windows.  The OS is not loaded until after POST completes.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
marcandria
Paper Tape
Views: 350
Message 3 of 3

Re: G580 : cracked screen, how to boot on VGA or HDMI ?

Oh yes, there are inexpensive (almost 60 € port included), but I had to reinstall it - so there is no way to force VGA bios mode on the G580 ? Even a BIOS update wouldn't make it ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors