Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkj5ue
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,205
Message 1 of 4

G580 loud fan noise

Well a lenovo, used for a year and a buzzing loud crackling fan noise problem... Aren't we surprised!!!

Useless to ask for a BIOS update for a essential product, they didn't care to give one for a thinkpad. 

Here's the problem though...

The laptop makes a buzzing fan noise. That is not a fan running at full speed. This noise is more like a buzz of a large fluoroscent tube. And will stop, well, if you tap it, knock it, or use your acquired accupressure massage tricks for the revered Lenovo products. Problem is it will reappear after a few minutes or seconds depending on your luck. 

Lenovo don't seem to provide any off shelf fans at least in India for the product. Even the cpu temp seem to be rising. It has touched 70C for i53210m.(room temp at 26C, load 100% for arnd 30 sec, avg load 6%)

My question is with the temperature on the higher side, and the fact that I cannot feel much air from the fan, how do I know the gurgarating buzzing loud fan is actually working or needs to be changed?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,095
Message 2 of 4

Re: G580 loud fan noise

Hi,

It might just need a cleaning.  Here's your Hardware Maintenance Manual .  That should show you how to gain access to it.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
pkj5ue
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,876
Message 3 of 4

While almost all laptops nowadays have the fan accessible by opening the back lid (just two screws), the masters of designing at lenovo have managed to plant the fan so deep, that you need to disassemble laptop completely to access the fan. And a regular a clean up, which needs to be done every 6 months or so now effectively needs to be sent to technician.

To access you need to remove

1130 Fan assembly and Heat Sink assembly
For access, remove these FRUs in order:
• “1010 Battery pack” on page 34
• “1020 Dummy card” on page 35
• “1030 Optical drive/Hard disk drive
(HDD)/Memory/Central processing
unit/Mini PCI Express Card slot compartment cover” on page 36
• “1040 Hard disk drive” on page 39
• “1050 Optical drive” on page 43
• “1060 DIMM” on page 45
• “1070 PCI Express Mini Card for wireless LAN/WAN” on page 47
• “1080 Keyboard” on page 49
• “1090 Keyboard bezel” on page 52
• “1100 Speakers (Lenovo G480/G485/G580/G585)” on page 59
• “1110 System board” on page 60

according to the manual. My advice is : DONT EVEN TRY TO DO IT UNLESS YOU HAVE LOADS OF TIME!!! Chances are you will displace, misplace the components. I was lucky to be in india and get the fan changed for 10 usds, servicing included. Best of luck if you are in another country. And don't forget to show your love for the genius designers at lenovo while doing so.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,846
Message 4 of 4

Hi pkj5ue,

You can get access to the fan by removing the bottom cover and taking the 3 screws out and removing the keyboard.  The fan will be visible at the top left.  Blowing come compressed air in through the vent and vacuuming out through the fan should suffice for a simple cleaning.

Here's videos  showing disassembly of the various components.  

If you need to replace the fan or reapply the thermal paste, yes, you will have to disassemble the laptop.

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors