Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSmith
Paper Tape
Views: 402
Message 1 of 1

G580 + usb hard drive not recognized

Sorry for the double post. 

I have the same problem as in the prior G580 usb post.   My G580 Win 8.1 laptop will recognize one external SATA hard drive but not the other one.  The missing drive is a Hitachi PATA (IDE) HD.   Both are easily recognized on my Win 7 laptop with no problems.  The Win 8 machine is the problem.  Unplugging the usb cord will cause a sound just as plugging it in will cause a sound.  However, the Device Manager will not "see" the Hitachi,  nor will the Disk Manager "see" the hard drive.  I've uninstalled all USB hubs and USB devices in the device manager, restarted my machine, but still no Hitachi drive. 

Microsoft said to find the latest Hitachi drivers.  Hitachi claims that Microsoft 8.1 OS has the latest drivers.  Checking drivers on Lenovo's site also claims that Microsoft 8.1 OS has the latest drivers.    We're going in circles here with all parites pointing at someone else as the problem.  

Lenovo Solution Center software claims there are no problems....of course, it can't see the Hitachi drive either.

All drivers apparently updated to current.  All Win 8 software updates current. 

Both drives worked on this machine a few months ago....now the Hitachi can't be seen.   Can anyone help?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors