Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rick8864
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,045
Message 1 of 13

G580 won't connect over wi-fi to my Netgear WNDR4300 router

I usually have my G580 laptop hardwired to my router, so I wasn't checking wireless connectivity on a regular basis.  But it won't connect anymore (it used to work). 

Everything else I own workes fine over wi-fi on my Netgear router (Android tablet and smartphone, HP Windows Vista laptop, etc.).

I took my G580 laptop to McDonald's this morning and it connects to their wi-fi easily.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

rick8864

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,022
Message 2 of 13

Re: G580 won't connect over wi-fi to my Netgear WNDR4300 router

hi rick8864,

Just to verify, when you connect to the Netgear accesspoint, are you getting one of the errors below?

Windows was unable to connect (Win7)

Can't connect to this network (Win8)

Things that you can try:

1. Reboot the router

2. Remove the Wi-Fi network and try connecting again.

If you have Win7, navigate to Control Panel (icon views) > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks and delete the Netgear accesspoint.

- Link to picture

If you have Win8, right click on the Wi-Fi network and choose Forget Network

- Link to picture

3. Uninstall the Wi-Fi Adapter by navigating to Device Manager Network Adapters. When finished, scan for hardware changes and reconnect to the wireless accesspoint then observe.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

rick8864
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,015
Message 3 of 13

Hi -

Thanks for your reply.  I've already tried your items 1) and 2), which doesn't fix the problem.  Your step 3) I am a bit leery of trying....it I uninstall the network adaptor, will I be able to restore it?  Also, there are 4 devices listed:

Anchorfree HSS VPN Adaptor

Anchorfree HSS VPN Adaptor #2

Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor

Qualcomm Atheros AR812/8166/8168 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

I know what 1 and 2 are, which one do I uninstall 3 or 4?  When I "Scan for Hardware Changes", will they be restored?

I am baffled why the Lenovo connects at McDonald's, but not at home.  What's Ronald got that I don't have?

Thanks for your help.

rick8864

rick8864
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,014
Message 4 of 13

Oh yeah, one more thing, the Lenovo supposedly connected, but it says "Limited" on the connected logo.  But I can't get anything over the internet.

rick8865

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,005
Message 5 of 13

hi rick8864

If you uninstall the Wi-Fi adapter (Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor), don't check the delete the driver software for this device so that it will reinstall the driver after you do a scan for hardware changes.

As for getting a "Limited" connectivity, do you have a valid IP address (eg. 192.168.xx.xx) when you get this network status?

If you get a valid IP address (192.xxx.xxx.xxx / 172.xxx.xxx.xxx / 10.xxx.xxx.xxx) then there's most likely a security software that's interfering with the internet connectivity. Try to uninstall any security software on the machine (eg. Mcafee, Norton, AVG, etc.) and observe.

If you get a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address then you're most likely getting a DHCP failover (APIPA). In this case, open a command prompt as admin and type the following commands (reboot if necessary) to refresh the winsock and TCP/IP configurations:

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

rick8864
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,984
Message 6 of 13

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will try your suggestions when I get a chance. Christmas preparations are at the top of the priority list.

rick8864
rick8864
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,969
Message 7 of 13

Hi,

I tried your admin command prompt suggestion first.  It didn't fix the problem, I still can't connect via wi-fi to my router.  I started to uninstall the Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter per your suggestion.  When I click on uninstall I get the warning prompt, but there is no checkbox for not deleting the driver.

I don't want to proceed with this uninstall for fear I will lose this driver.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

rick8864

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,958
Message 8 of 13

hi rick8864,

If you look under the Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (Properties) > Driver Tab, what does it say on the Driver Provider

- Link to picture

If it says Microsoft and not Broadcom, can you try the following:

- right click on the Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter and choose

> Update Driver Software

> Browse my computer for driver software

> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

- on the list of drivers, select the driver that has a (Broadcom) and try connecting again to the Wi-Fi network.

- Sample Image

If there are no other drivers on the list, try to insall this driver posted by Hammerhorst in the thread below:

G580 Limited access Wireless problem

Regards

rick8864
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,946
Message 9 of 13

Hi neaokenchi -

I think your last post solved the problem.  I did not, however, install a new Broadcom driver.  The Broadcom driver source was Broadcom, not Microsoft.  I right clicked on this listing under Device Manager -  Network Adapters.  There was a button for "update driver," which I did.  Searching the c: drive, I found two Broadcom drivers - one whose source was Broadcom, the other Microsoft.  I picked the Broadcom one and updated it. 

I then connected to my Netgear router sucessfully.  Hooray!  'hopefully it continues to work.

Thanks SO MUCH for all your thoughts and suggestions.  I really appreciate it!

Rick8864

rick8864
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,937
Message 10 of 13

Hi - I guess I'm not out of the woods yet.  It seems like after about 15 minutes of wireless connectivity on battery, the connection shuts off.  I have to turn off wi-fi, then turn it on again.  It then reconnects for the same amount of time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

rick8864

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors