cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottbeme
Fanfold Paper
Views: 915
Message 1 of 7

G700 Series - Disable in Windows 10 the F6 Scrolling key ??

I used to be able to use the F6 key to disable the scroll pad while working so my palms would not automatically make screen scroll in any application. After I downloaded and installed Windows 10 I cannot use this key to disable. All Diagnostics checked out and all appears to have gone well with install. Is there a way to disable the auto scroll key with Windows 10 so I can keep my big hands from hitting pad contantly. PLEASE.. Need help , Much Appreciation if Given. 

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Scottbeme
Fanfold Paper
Views: 912
Message 2 of 7

Re: Disable in Windows 10 - F6 Scrolling key ??

Too give more information : My Laptop is a G700 series. I had Windows 8.1 when all was working Fine including the F5 key. As stated above, now after the Windows 10 install or upgrade, my F6 key will not work in disabling the auto scroll as it had in Windows 8.1. -- Just to be clearer, this is my 1st post and I hope I gave enough information. 

Scottbeme
Fanfold Paper
Views: 841
Message 3 of 7

Re: G700 Series - Disable in Windows 10 the F6 Scrolling key ??

What I did on Laptop G700 series with my  plugged in USB STANDARD mouse was go to :  Settings, then / Devices / Mouse & Touchpad / (then at bottom there is Additional Mouse Options ), here I went to Elan at top on right and clicked on. This gives U a box option to Disable elan smart pad when external USB or Real Mouse is plugged in. ( if you are working without a USB  real mouse, then the Laptop will go back to normal with the Elan Mouse and touchpad functionalities ). You also have the options under Elan settings advanced to set additional touch pad methods to your preferences without USB mouse . You just have to experiment with what you like. - I hope this helps anyone.

Note: The F6 key still does toggle nor work as before, maybe Lenovo will come up with a driver to fix or they should. My Version with Elan shows as ( Elan Touchpad 11.15.0.18_X64 ( for 64 bit computer) - As well with my G700 series laptop all other Function keys do work and update to Windows 10 seems to be Fine.

SeniorGuru
Views: 814
Message 4 of 7

Did you move to Win 10 as part of the "free upgrade" or was it a fresh or clean install?

Did you check for and install drivers for your new OS on the Lenovo support page for your specific notebook?

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Scottbeme
Fanfold Paper
Views: 803
Message 5 of 7

Thanks CBHedricks for your reply.

I moved to Win 10 as free upgrade

I had looked on system previously and only noted all devices were the latest. However, this problem of not having the F6 key on my model not working with a USB pointer in was Maddening with typing on Word Doc or other MS applications.  So, I tried your option of support site again. I went back to my system Lenovo support site and found a download under Lenovo support off the web.

It is called Elan, Synaptics  0fg002af – This was a download. I did not delete any other drivers before, just downloaded this..  After installing, The F6 key for disabling pointer and touchpad worked as well as all the other FN keys. This is great and I hope it helps someone else out. Note all other Win 10 setting I described above are still applicable to set to. But now all works without a USB mouse and touchpad disables so U can type without going all over the place.  

Once again Problem solved..

SeniorGuru
Views: 777
Message 6 of 7

Good to know - and yes that is the option I was going to suggest you try... and you beat me to it!

Good job!

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Scottbeme
Fanfold Paper
Views: 760
Message 7 of 7

Thanks CBHedricks, wanted to give U Kudo's just for your concern and willingness to help people. I mainly use my desktop which is Windows 7 and rarely use Lenovo laptop. I update it monthly, but mainly have it as backup computer if problems would have me take desktop in for repairs. I could just plug in my external drive to Lenovo and not be without. The Windows 10 install on Lenovo was done because I subscribed to the Windows 10 free offer and thought by now it should have most bugs worked out. Obviously the install was very easy, but the F6 key was annoying and just the fact it did degrade the Laptop functionality is disturbing. So, it kept me busy looking for a solution which are hard to find if your not a proficient Techy user like me. As far as all the criticism towards Windows 10 you see on internet, I do not understand all the gripes over it since intalling. Once again thanks CB for your involvement.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors