cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Froggy_
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,439
Message 11 of 64

Re: G700 Function keys not working - e.g. F4 just closes applications with/without Fn key use

Thanks for the reply, Neokenchi, but I'm afraid it hasn't made any difference.   (been on holiday, hence my delayed response)

Regardless of what program's open, if I press the F4 key with or without holding the Fn key first, the program closes.

Maybe I'm not using SharpKeys correctly?   This is what I've entered, then re-booted.  I then tried changing both of the "From" keys listed to the "Function: F4", but it still made no difference.

SharpKey settings.JPG

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,423
Message 12 of 64

Re: G700 Function keys not working - e.g. F4 just closes applications with/without Fn key use

hi Froggy_,

If you have Hotkey Mode ON, change Sharpkeys to this value and it should function like a regular F4 key.

Sharpkeys - G700.jpg

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Froggy_
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,412
Message 13 of 64

Thank you for the suggestion, Neokenchi, but it doesn't work.

I do not want Hotkey mode ON as I want to use a single key to access all the "proper" Function key functions as I am used to using them as shortcuts in programs, albeit infrequently.  However, I did go back into the BIOS to enable HotKey mode again, and changed the Sharpkeys to match your screenshot, but pressing the F4 key in both Excel and Adobe Acrobat still closed the programs.  Pressing the "Fn" key and the F4 key together also still closed both programs.

I am soooooo keen to restore normal function to this particular key as I've accidentally caught it when going for adjacent keys and closed several programs by accident, resulting in decidedly unwanted results and lost work as well as sheer annoyance.   This is, to me, a major design flaw of the computer (along with sticking the microphone in the wrist rest!) which is spoiling an otherwise really good laptop.

Your help is much appreciated.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,388
Message 14 of 64

hi Froggy_,

Ideally, if you have a keyboard layout like the image below, pressing F4 will function as a regular F4 key and pressing Fn+F4 should close the current active window. However, if you enable Hotkey Mode in the BIOS, these functions will be interchanged (pressing F4 will close the current active Window and pressing Fn+F4 will function as a regular F4 key).

Link to picture

If you observe that regular F4 key doesn't with Hotkey Mode disabed, try to boot into the BIOS and press F9 to reset default settings and then press  F10 to save and exit. If this doesn't fix it, I recommend you contact lenovo support as a BIOS reflash might be necessary.

List of Fn key combinations

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Micerus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,379
Message 15 of 64

Faced with the same problem.
All made ​​in the above message neokenchi.
The problem remains.
No changes help! Enable or disable the Hotkey Mode in the BIOS - useless. If any button is pressed F4 occurs closing the application. And - ANY!
Urgently release the BIOS update or withdraw the product from the market!

Sorry for my bad English.
althanowy
Paper Tape
Views: 3,342
Message 16 of 64

Unfortunately I had to do something with it for my work and I had to buy an external USB keyboard... Shame on you, Lenovo!

roitner
Punch Card
Views: 3,231
Message 17 of 64

I could not replace the existing F4 (close application) whatever I tried to do. 

The only practicable solution I found, was with the help of "SharpKeys" to replace the key "Ins" (="Einfg") by F4. 

We have the key "Ins" two times on the keyboard 1 right of F12 and 1 on the numeric "0". 

Furthermore I never needed "Insert" (what means overwrite) - I am faster to delete what is to be overwritten. 

When you replace "Ins" by "F4" you will have a perfect "F4" functionality by pressing "Ins"

Pressing "Ins" you will have:

- go to adress in Explorer and in Internet Explorer

functionality in Adobe Reader

functionality in Excel or Works Calculation

- "Ctrl"+"Ins" = "Ctrl"+"F4" = Close Window

- "Alt"+"Ins" = "Alt"+"F4" = Close Application

etc. etc.

At any time you can get back to the original solution simply by deleting the line in "SharpKeys". 

Possible you might prefer the "sharpkeys2.zip" what is the version without any installation. You have full funktionality also with this mobile version. Lenovo F4 problem.png

Froggy_
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,214
Message 18 of 64

Roitner, you're a genius!  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy

Whilst I still wish Lenovo would have stuck with the traditional key functions, your solution works for me and I can now do what I want to do without having to faff around.   Thank you so much.  And your detailed description and instructions are really helpful and much appreciated, too.

Any idea on how to disable the original F4 ("Close application") key?   It's so easy to catch it in error when going for F3 or F5, and suddenly find the program's closed.

I'm a much happier Froggy now!  Smiley LOL  Thanks again

Edit:   

I've just answered my own query  Smiley Embarassed

I've gone back into SmartKeys and found that if I re-map the F4 key to "Turn key off", then it disables the key regardless of whether the "Fn" key is used or not, so I can definitely not close things by accident.  I still have the "close application" functionality via your clever solution ("Alt"+"Insert"), though, so I'm definitly a very happy bunny now!  Smiley Happy   Thank you

roitner
Punch Card
Views: 3,165
Message 19 of 64

Froggy thank you for the compliments. I enjoyed your reply very much.

Would be nice if we can find a solution to replace the stupid Lenovo Close-Button by the correct F4.

But have the experience that Lenovo is worst in Customer Service (they do have an inferior partner in Germany) they mostly do not answer. And when they answer, the answer is really stupid. You can see immediately that they even don't understand their own products. Lenovo does not have a good quality either. Have got an S10-2 Netbook 3 years ago. The keys do have such a bad quality - the print goes away so fast, that you can't follow. The web-cam on the S10-2 has the wrong position, so that it shows your chest instead of the face. They have not been able to repair this in their repair center.

Lenovo even is not able to describe their downloads on the support site. They leave you alone as much as possible.

Anyway I was very happy to find this site. It lead me to the idea to use the Insert-Key instead of F4.

Thank you for the additional idea to disable the Close-Key.

nikerniker
What's DOS?
Views: 3,135
Message 20 of 64

Re: G700 f4 problem

This works on my lenovo helix:
press "Fn" + "Esc"
Then all F1-F12 act normal now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors