Did you mean: 
marcrobert
Paper Tape
Views: 3,033
Message 1 of 8

G770 problems/Issues Where are drivers? and more

Here are my questiions in order of importance

Model G770 10732ku

Specs: i5-2310/6GB/750GB/Win 7x64/ ATI 6650M 1gb/USB 3 x1/ Bluray player/ BT 2.1 EDR

1. Support and downloads for G770 10732ku, Where are drivers, bios updates etc / Are there any on Lenovo? (i sure hope so). I went to support, enetered model number, 10732ku, then tried serial, nothing found. Autodetect does not work. Searched using G770, I basically get an empty G770 page. Are there any driver/bios updates, where are they? isn't there a Lenovo driver update utility on board?

2. Discrete graphics ATI Rdeon 6650M seemingly not performing as expected, ugly somewhat jerky pixelated video, have to switch to Intel HD graphics for smooth video. Not sure why.  THis is my biggest disappointment right now, because if I can't get 1GB of dedicated video memory to produce an image equal to Intel graphics, it will be a downer.

Details: It looks like when using switchable graphics on ATI 6650M, video playback is NOT using hardware acceleration or card's features for some reason. I cannot explain, but when I switch back to Intel graphics, playback is smooth as silk, image way better, colors good.
    There's no mistake, graphics is clearly set to Mobile Intel HD graphics (Power saving GPU) in order to get gerat video playback, and when switched to "high performance gpu" problems occur.

This sort of negates the value of having the ATI graphics card and the etra 150 i spent. HELP.
    SO for now, I am staying on Intel graphics in order to get the good video quality, until I can find a solution.

Has anybody had this problem, have new drivers helped (did you get them from ATI?

3. Audio lag (- 0.02 sec) in media player and other players but esp. WMP. Anybody have this under W7? I have proper codec packs installed. Cannot figure this out yet.

4. BT audio lag. Not sure if related to some media playing with audio lag. Still need to test on different media types. Has anybody had problems. Where are updated drivers on lenovo?

5. How do I create REcovery discs if need to reinstall clean install

6. touchpad pinch zoom - How can I tell the current zoom level, and how can I reset to 100%. I don't mind this feature, but really going at it blind without knowing what zoom factor i'm on.

7. Veriface. i turned it off, way too slow to detect, have to sit there for a couple of minutes each time. How fast is this supposed to be?

By the way, despite the poor quality of the LCD screen (cheap LED not that great for blacks and video - alas), I have improved it by using the video/media and desktop color and contrast adjustments under both Intel and ATI graphics, although video looks bad anyways under ATI as mentioned above, but this is not a function of color and contrast, it's a problem with proper hardware decoding (i think).

One other note, I just bought the new Lenovo multimedia keypad remote 5902?. It's awesome, having lots of fun with it, and it works great.

Arshes-Nei
Punch Card
Views: 3,007
Message 2 of 8

Re: G770 problems/Issues Where are drivers? and more

This is something of a generic response, but I was able to find drivers here

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers.html

Enter the model number of course.

G770 should have this list http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=290407

I had tried it through "support.lenovo.com" and often got no driver results for my G570

marcrobert
Paper Tape
Views: 2,991
Message 3 of 8

thanks can u answer the other questions i see the list is quite old and also confusing the image at top of page says y u series.
Arshes-Nei
Punch Card
Views: 2,971
Message 4 of 8

Hello,

The reason I have not answered your questions specifically is that many of them have already been answered in this forum.

As far as a picture of the Y series, it's just a banner for the SITE, it doesn't change for each model you're looking for.

As far as lagging audio. I had this issue on another model.

This was my fight to try to get Lenovo to recognize the audio problem: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Value-line/Depot-Support-Nightmare-with-Lenovo-G570-Soun...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Value-line/Lenovo-G570-Sound-Issues/td-p/421083 G570 experiencing audio problems. It seems toe related to some issue involving latency, as I know even with the speakers and motherboard replaced the sound issue persisted.

Mark made a write up on the One Key recovery and how to do it in another thread.

There were some sites with user manuals - these are in English as far as I know - http://www.manualowl.com/p/Lenovo/G770/Manual/112259

marcrobert
Paper Tape
Views: 2,946
Message 5 of 8

Hey thanks for your reply. Sorry for your ordeal. I would personally never send in a laptop for a sound issue. it usually driver or codec related. speaker replacement in one case is a strange fix.

anyways, it has been 3 years since i bought a pc, a HP desktop. My only problem with that one is that it is stuck in test mode and restarts when i shut it down.

I had forgotten how painful new pc experience is. too many variables and dependencies. there's something to be said for hardware/software from the same maker (i.e. apple) i guess. Like you I have been solving my own pc problems for 20 years.

Also i can't believe there are no driver updates for this g770 since the intial batch in april. its almost as if they relegated these valueline (if close to $1000 is value?) pcs to some third party approach, or a generic pc maker in asia is really behind these models.

I'm a bit disappointed at how disorganised this seems for the #2 pc maker. I can pop a serial number into dell, hp, toshiba support site, and everything is right there. Maybe Lenovo should not have gotten into the low margin mass market business. they don't seem to be devoting the appropriate resources.

I just hope the hardware is somewhat durable, That's really the only reason i bought this lenovo. I might have been better off with a vostro for 150 more. the screen on the vostros is much better.

I was also hoping that Lenovo would answer my post.

Arshes-Nei
Punch Card
Views: 2,920
Message 6 of 8

Hi marcrobert

The reason I sent the unit in was due to the fact that all software driver updates that I was informed of as well as a flash to the bios did not resolve the issue. I generally am hesitant to send anything through warranty because I have diagnosed my own problems for years. It was basically a last resort. Sound is unacceptable for a $400 unit where older units do not have this audio problem. My previous laptop is a N300 100.

I was hoping Lenovo would have provided a soltuion for the sound issue by now but they keep saying it's "acceptable sound" which I do not beleive for a minute. I had the unit returned to me several times and had the same latency audio problems as before. So either there's some weird climate change affecting the laptop when it travels from California (where I reside) and Texas (Where their depot resides) or they're not willing to acknowledge the problem.

wahid123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,720
Message 7 of 8

Hi Marcrobert,

for the grafic card issue, I have the same problem Smiley Sad do you have a solution for the switchable grafic card?

thanx,
wahid
LENOVO G770 M533LGE
CPU: Intel Core i5 2410M / 2.3 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6650M / 1024 MB
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 500GB
marcrobert
Paper Tape
Views: 1,197
Message 8 of 8

I have no solution, besides not using the ATI card.

Buying the extra graphics was a scam I guess. Probably usefil for gaming frame rates, but Intel graphics is just fine for video playback. Also the screen quality on this pc is awful for video. There is really no angle where video does not reverse blacks. Will never buy a laptop online again without viewing in store.

Besides the processor which seems to be decent, this is overpriced. Could have bought a Dell solid aluminum model at BB for 100 more, with a super IPS panel. Oh well, live and learn. Lenovo's service is crap is you ask me. Probably won't buy again this brand

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors