Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kinger
Paper Tape
Views: 2,817
Message 1 of 6

G780: Wireless 5 ghz network not seen

I'm trying to connect a newly purchased G780 to my home network and I do not see our 5 ghz network available. I've got other devices connected on the 5 ghz network currently running and I can see the network as "active" on my router. However, the G780 only sees my 2.4 ghz network. The networks are set to broadcast with "auto" channel selection and the G780 is within 10 feet of the router. The router is a Netgear WNDR4500 dual band device, the laptop has a 10/100 802.11n network card.  I tried to Update the Driver on the card and it claims to be current.

The card is a Broadcom card but I can tell the specific model number from the Control Panel.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks ---- and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!

AdamN
Punch Card
Views: 2,811
Message 2 of 6

Re: G780: Wireless 5 ghz network not seen

You can check for the model type from this site http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/productConfiguration.page?
it will shows you all parts of your laptop, might be your broadcom wifi model doesn't support 5ghz networks

Kinger
Paper Tape
Views: 2,792
Message 3 of 6

Thanks AdamN for the help. I checked the link, input my serial number, and it gave me a part number. Once I searched the web on that part number, it confirmed "2.4 ghz radio" so I'm not going to be able to get a 5 ghz network. Random question: Do you know how difficult it would be to swap out that part (if its even possible!) if I wanted to get the increased headroom on my network?

Thanks again!

AdamN
Punch Card
Views: 2,784
Message 4 of 6

I don't know, never done it before, you can check the Hardware Maintenance Manual if you want http://support.lenovo.com/en_CA/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM014924

However, it might be better to ask an experienced technician to do that.
If there are a local Lenovo Service Center nearby you could ask them for help, they might also have an upgrade to replace the wifi with the one that support 5ghz

IMChad
What's DOS?
Views: 1,136
Message 5 of 6

I also have a G780 that won't see the 5 ghz wifi that we have.  I did a command promp "netsh wlan show drivers" and it shows I have 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b.  After doing a search, one of those is said to support 5 ghz wifi networks.  At this point I am stuck.  Any suggestions you have would be great.  Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,127
Message 6 of 6

I don't think that's correct.  None of the 3 you list implies 5GHz support.  If 802.11a or ...ac isn't listed, there's no 5GHz support.

What model is your wifi card and/or the MT-M of your laptop?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors