cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevesobol
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,775
Message 1 of 6

G780 keyboard doesn't work, but ONLY when Elan Touchpad driver is installed.

Got a nasty surprise today - unlike the other major manufacturers, who offer one year free tech support, Lenovo does not. $179 for a contract or $89 to cover a single incident. Thanks, guys. :-/

Here's my problem.

G780, bought last October. Upgraded from Win7 Home Premium to Win8 Pro.

A few days ago, the built-in keyboard stopped working. It works in the BIOS, but when you boot into Windows, Windows doesn't recognize it.

There is a PS/2 keyboard driver and a HID Keyboard Device that show up in the Win8 Device Manager. I'm assuming those are the drivers for the built-in keyboard. If I plug in a USB keyboard, it shows up in the Device Manager as an additional HID Keyboard Device.

Through trial and error, I discovered that the keyboard still works fine when the Elan touchpad driver is not installed. The problem with THAT: I can't disable the touchpad unless the driver is installed, and if the touchpad isn't disabled, it'll screw me up because I accidentally brush my hand up against the touchpad while typing.

I've also noticed that sometimes, the touchpad icon in the system tray shows up with a CAUTION icon overlaid on top of it (you know, the little yellow triangle with the exclamation point). I can't figure out why, and I can't figure out what changed on my computer that caused the keyboard to stop working properly.

I've tried uninstalling the Elan touchpad driver, downloading the latest driver from the G780 support web page, and reinstalling it. No luck.

I'm making do with a USB keyboard right now, but I really need to get this problem resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 5,736
Message 2 of 6

Re: G780 keyboard doesn't work, but ONLY when Elan Touchpad driver is installed.

hi stevesobol,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Are you also able to type your password on the login screen but after that the keyboard gets disabled? If this is the case, check this article as it's similar to the keyboard issue.

As for the Keyboard not working when the ELAN touchpad driver is not installed, this is surprising as I've never heard this issue happen before. Are you not able to disabled the touchpad via Fn+F6 even if the driver is not installed?

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

stevesobol
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,725
Message 3 of 6

Re: G780 keyboard doesn't work, but ONLY when Elan Touchpad driver is installed.

(I haven't ever seen a problem like this before, either, in almost 20 years of doing IT support!)

I read that article, thank you. Does not apply. All of the Accessibility features are turned off, including Filter Keys; I've checked. (Several times) Smiley Happy

I can hit F2 to go into BIOS setup or F12 to choose a boot device, but once I see that Windows logo, bam... no more keyboard. I can enter the password only by plugging in a USB keyboard or using the onscreen keyboard.

BUT!

Fn-F6 didn't work the last few times I tried, but I tried again JUST NOW and it worked... without the touchpad driver installed.

(Edit: Maybe I wasn't actually HITTING Fn-F6; those F0keys are tiny!)

So, I have a workaround, and this issue is no longer a big priority for me to fix. I *would* like to find out why it happened.

I did try to do a System Restore, to a restore point saved a few days before I started having trouble, and it failed... Windows was unable to save some of the changes to the registry... so something else is probably broken. The only way I can guarantee that the problem will be fixed is if I do a full Recovery, and that means that not only do I have to reinstall all of my software, I have to do the Win7-Win8 upgrade again. Unfortunately I do not have the time for that, so Fn-F6 will be my solution for now.

I'd say, let's leave this issue open for a little while. I'm curious whether anyone else has any ideas. This is one of the strangest computer problems I've encountered, ever...

stevesobol
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,354
Message 4 of 6

So I'd uninstalled the Elan drivers a while ago... yesterday I tried reinstalling the ones that came with the computer.

At least the keyboard worked now, but the drivers weren't properly disabling the touchpad when I plugged in the mouse.

So then I hit Fn-F6, not really thinking it'd do anything, but it fixed the problem.

I would have though the driver would have overridden whatever setting I set with Fn-F6, but... maybe not. Smiley Tongue

<facepalm>

Problem solved.

gjorgji
What's DOS?
Views: 3,428
Message 5 of 6

Same problem here, on my lenovo G580. When i TRY to install elan driver for  windows10 keyboard stops working. Not only the keyboard but the power button as well and after a while even the battery stops charging.

The weird thing is that the driver is not even installed. Solution was to remove the battery and get it back again. 

However i cannot find driver for the touchpad.

Arnus
What's DOS?
Views: 1,984
Message 6 of 6

I had the same problem. I installed "elan eztouchfilter 1.0.0.5" from driverpack solution and my keyboard and touchpad where dead.

i couldn't delete the driver because it reinstalled automatically. Disabling was not working for me.

I had to reinstall my whole system because i could not find the right driver on the internet.

I do not have a Lenova but an XMG C504 laptop.

I want to tell that you are not the only one wth this problem.

I hope there will come a new driver without this strange problem.

Greetings.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors