Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mabuzu80
Paper Tape
Views: 11,718
Message 1 of 17

HDD caddy problem Lenovo B50-80

I bought a SSD in order to swap it and the original HDD of the laptop but when I connect the HDD caddy, bios doesn't recognize the original HHD in the caddy. Does anyone know why it can been happening?

SeniorGuru
Views: 11,670
Message 2 of 17

Re: HDD caddy problem Lenovo B50-80

It would be helpful to know what you are calling a "caddy" and how it is connected to the notebook, and what OS you have installed.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
mabuzu80
Paper Tape
Views: 11,643
Message 3 of 17

A caddy HDD:

https://www.google.es/search?q=caddy+hdd&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ...

I've got Windows 10

I've replaced the optical unit by a caddy HDD (the original HDD), now the main HDD is A SSD.

Mikelgrin
Paper Tape
Views: 11,587
Message 4 of 17

Hello,

I got the same problem as mabuzu80.

I have Windows 7 64bits, and I updated laptop BIOS. My hdd caddy is Silverstone TS08. I changed boot mode to Legacy.

I test these configurations:

1) SSD in HDD bay, and ODD. it works great. 

2) SSD in HDD bay, and HDD in ODD bay. BIOS detect both drives, and boot order is first SSD, second HDD. The OS start loading but never end. Windows logo is moving but never stop.(I want that config)

3) HDD in HDD bay, and SSD in ODD bay. BIOS detect both drives, and boot order is first SSD, second HDD. THe OS doesn't start to load. There is an error in shell that tells something like, "Cant found bootloader"

¿There is any solution for configure it?

Thank you!

rdarioc
What's DOS?
Views: 11,419
Message 5 of 17

HI Mabuzu80,

have you solved your issue?

What model of HDD caddy have you used?

Do you have a block diagram of the notebook? Often, in the past, the ODD (Optical Disk Drive) was connected using a slower port thus attaching the the HDD was not really providing any benefit in terms of speed.

Looking forward for your kind reply.

Best

Rosario

rdarioc
What's DOS?
Views: 11,418
Message 6 of 17

Hi Mikelgrin,

Have you also fixed your issue?

I noted that the caddy you used is a 9.5mm from Silverstone (great brand by the way) while the hardware manual of that specific Lenovo notebook talks about a 9mm ODD.

Did you have any difficulty on fitting a larger caddy into a smaller slot?

Looking forward for your kind reply.

Best

Rosario

Mikelgrin
Paper Tape
Views: 11,362
Message 7 of 17

Hi Rosario! Thanks for your reply.

I have not fixed my issue :/

The caddy fit OK, I think there are only 2 standards of ODD for laptops, 9.5 and 12.7.

The BIOS detect drive with the caddy, and caddy lights  work OK. Do you know what could be the issue?

Regards!

rdarioc
What's DOS?
Views: 11,350
Message 8 of 17

Hi Mikelgrin,

It is my impression that the issues you are facing are related to the operating system and how it was installed.

Let's take into consideration only the configuration you are interested in, which is, if I am not wrong:

SSD goes where the previous HDD was and the HDD goes where the previous ODD was.

Now, just out of curiosity, I know that the pre-installed HDD is a SATA 6Gb/s.

From that I assumed that the main HDD interface was, at least, a SATA 6Gb/s.

Do you know if also the ODD interface in the notebook is a SATA 6Gb/s ?

Of course the HDD may be down compatible with SATA and SATA II and I don't know which SATA interfaces are in the caddy, toward the notebook and toward the HDD.

This, nonetheless, doesn't affect the functionalities, only the speed of the HDD.

That being said, and having specified the ideal configuration, in that context, how did you install your Windows 7 in your machine?

Did you used some sort of recovery CD included in the package? Please consider I don't have that notebook.

Or

Did you use some sort of bare metal copy utility included into the caddy?

Or

Did you use a fresh Installation Disk for the Windows OS?

I would recommend only the third option because it is highly improbable the previous two could be able to re-configure your Windows installation in a working state for your new hardware.

It is my impression, in fact, that the issues you are describing (unable to complete the boot) are more OS related than hardware related.

Let me know if any of this is of some help and if you finally fix your issue.

As for the SATA details, it is just a curiosity. In fact if they both use a SATA 6Gb/s you could think in future to use two SSD SATA 6Gb/s storages and put them into a virtual RAID 0 (striping) configuration. Just thinking out loud.

Thank you and have a good day

Rosario

TadyZ
Paper Tape
Views: 10,409
Message 9 of 17

Hi!

i'm having the same problem. BIOS sees HDD in caddy but windows is stuck loading from SSD.

Have anyone solved this? Does reinstaling windows helped?

SeniorGuru
Views: 10,394
Message 10 of 17

There is an issue with using an SSD / HDD in the optical bay of some notebooks (no brand is immune) and it seems to point to the chipset expecting to see an ODD on that port and only an ODD.

When you install or use any other drive it fails to access it in the manner it is expecting and causes the machine to hang at that point.

That is the best that I have been able to come up with outside of re-engineering the interface to conform with a SATA plug and play or hot plug specification.

My advice to those that are looking to replace the ODD with a SSD or HDD is contact the manufacture, speak with their tech channel and see if it has been done successfully with your model in the past and what it takes to make that happen.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors