Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ice0311
Paper Tape
Views: 40,020
Message 1 of 19

HDMI Port not working on Lenovo G460 Win7-64bit

I've been trying to solve this for some months now.
I bought my lenovo G460 with nvidia M310 (with hdmi) this year and have not been able to get the hdmi port to work.

I have two lcd displays one in our lab and another one at home (LG 2361V-PF) which have hdmi connections in the back.
In the beginning I was able to get my notebook to work on the display in our office. However, now both displays (work+home) are not working.

I have tried to reinstall latest nvidia drivers as of 2010-11-02 (ver. 8.16.11.8990) from lenovo, completely restore Operating system and tried different hdmi cables.

I have even tried to use original drivers and also downgrade that to a lower version all with no luck.

I have even taken my LG LCD display to the LG After Service Warranty office and have found no issues wrong with the Monitor itself.

I am sure I have taken all the trouble-shooting methods into consideration so a simple question is...
Is the hdmi port defective?

I will take my laptop into the Lenovo After Care service center this week, but before then is there anyone who has had this issue and solved it?  -->or is it just a hardware problem easily fixed with warranty replacement parts.

Thank you

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 39,900
Message 2 of 19

Re: HDMI Port not working on Lenovo G460 Win7-64bit

- try to flash bios update if you didn't

- connect the cable first, then start-up your computer and lcd.
make sure cable works and you can also try "windows + p" ( or fn + f3 )

make sure also function keys working.

- optimize performance ( probably need shut down mcfee mcagent.exe first )

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
ice0311
Paper Tape
Views: 39,862
Message 3 of 19

So the LG After/Service engineer came back with my monitor yesterday evening.
He tested the HDMI port on his laptop and office equipment and the monitor has no problems at all.

He retested the hdmi connection with my lenovo G460 and the LG monitor and result: <<NO CONNECTION>>

So now I will go to the Lenovo After Service Center on Monday to get the mainboard checkout.
I will reply once i get a response from them.

Results:

-> Already Updated Bios (bios updates doesn't fix this issue with hdmi) (failure)

-> Have already tried using different HDMI cables (failure)

-> Tried reordering the startup sequence with HDMI (failure) 

-> Have Mcafee but no use disabling it (failure)

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 39,850
Message 4 of 19

please, post back the results for other users who may have the same issue.

( marking this thread as solved )

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
ice0311
Paper Tape
Views: 39,575
Message 5 of 19

Sorry for not posting yet... This month has been busy and I needed my laptop to work on.
I should have time next week to go to the after service center and have them check out my hdmi connection.

I will post right away and see if it is indeed a hardware problem. If it is...there might be a possible recall.

will check back.

ice0311
Paper Tape
Views: 39,466
Message 6 of 19

::Update:: ----------> Partially SOLVED

Lenovo After Service Center Report:
   1. hdmi connection is fine

They said that it could be a software problem and that they would try to update the driver.

Partial Solution:

Use Lenovo Original Drivers, for some reason NVIDIA newest drivers conflict with hdmi port on Lenovo G460 .

I restored my laptop to factory condition and tested the hdmi connection and it worked for a few seconds ...

my lcd screen started to flicker and my laptop flickers now when hdmi is connected....(A sign that hdmi is not really broken)

Will update solution when i get it to work 100%

ice0311
Paper Tape
Views: 39,128
Message 7 of 19

Lenovo G460 - HDMI Not working (reply to post if you have same issue)

Hello,

I posted an earlier post regarding how my HDMI port is not working. I'll post the link in this thread, but I'm making this new thread as I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue.

If your HDMI port has not been working since day 1 and you cannot get it to work, please reply to this post.
Say the following in your post:
 "HDMI not working for me too"

I think if we get enough attention to the issue, Lenovo will come back with a solution to this problem.

Link to my previous post:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Value-line/HDMI-Port-not-working-on-Lenovo-G460-Win7-64b...

ice0311
Paper Tape
Views: 39,124
Message 8 of 19

It's official,

after such a long period of trying to get my hdmi port working....

Conclusion: HDMI = lemon

Even with the newest nvidia drivers, I cannot get my screen to remain stable. I also tried with the original factory OS and drivers and nothing.

I contacted Lenovo's service center in Hong Kong and they said it is a hardware failure, but their response to this issue was to come in and they would replace the board for me.

The problem is that since I bought my laptop in Hong Kong and I am residing in South Korea, I asked them if I could get it serviced in Korea.

Korea's Response: Even though your warranty expires 2/27/2011 ...it has been over a year and we cannot help you with replacing your hardware. (Note: i bought my laptop in January of 2010).

So now I'm stuck with a defective HDMI port that won't work at all.

Any possibility for a recall?

Finikyair
Paper Tape
Views: 39,056
Message 9 of 19

Lenovo G460 - HDMI Not working (reply to post if you have same issue)

HDMI not working for me too

I received my first ever Lenova laptop drop-shipped from China last week.  I connected it to my Sony HD TV via HDMI and it did not work.  Intel HD graphic card in it reconizes the TV (Digital Televison Sony TV XV) and it plays the sound but no Video (TV displays "Unsupported signal. Please check the device output").    I have been connecting my Gateway PC via HDMI to the TV wihout any problem for years and it works.  Any help is appreciated.

Finikyair
Paper Tape
Views: 39,054
Message 10 of 19

Re: Lenovo G460 - HDMI Not working (reply to post if you have same issue)

The above laptop (Lenovo G460) came pre-installed with OS - Windows 7 x64 (Home Edition) and still had original configuration.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors