cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert333
What's DOS?
Views: 279
Message 1 of 2

How to access Recovery Drive on a USB flash drive if Windows 8.1 should not be accessible?

Hello,

We have purchased a Lenovo G40 Notebook with Windows 8.1.

I have successfully made a Recovery Drive to a USB flash drive, and it does run when accessed from Windows.

By this I refer to the procedure which commences with:

Pointing your mouse upper right side corner, or lower right side, and accessing the USB device from the:

‘Use a device’ dialog box, by clicking: “EFI USB Device”.

Then the: ‘Choose the language’ dialog box, is displayed.

(If the device is not connected, an error message is instead here displayed!)

What I would like to know please, is how I can boot from this USB Recovery Drive in the event that it may not be possible to access it (through the above method) using Windows.

I know how to access the "UEFI" (formerly called the BIOS) in order to see the boot order, but can find no method for changing the boot order.

When I turn on the notebook with the Recovery Drive attached, the machine ignores it and boots to Windows.

How I can boot from the USB Recovery Drive in the event that it may not be possible to access it using Windows?

Regards.

Robert333

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 268
Message 2 of 2

Re: How to access Recovery Drive on a USB flash drive if Windows 8.1 should not be accessible?

Hello and welcome,

Are you using the novo button to get to the boot menu?  If you don't see the recovery drive there try turning off secure boot.

If it is shown in the menu can you arrow up or down and select it?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors