Options

5 Posts

04-06-2015

United States

10 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 1 of 10

How to enable mouse move to wake Lenovo G50-45 from sleep instead of power button?

2015-04-06, 6:19 AM

I have a "LENOVO 80E3 Lenovo G50-45" (according to Belarc Utilities report) and I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro.

When the Lenovo hibernates and blanks the screen, in order to waken it, I have to press the power button. (It then goes to my login page, which is exactly where I want it to go.)

I'd rather have it exit hibernation mode / blank screen mode when I move the mouse or swipe my finger across the touch pad.

How do I enable that?

Options

2425 Posts

08-11-2014

IN

1941 Signins

27001 Page Views

• Views: 27001
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: How to enable mouse move to wake Lenovo G50-45 from sleep instead of power button?

2015-04-06, 9:41 AM

Hi Tomlenovo,

Welcome to the Forums.

When the system goes to the hibernate the screen will be black in order to resume power button is the only way to resume. Through touchpad this option cannot be set, if the system is locked and if the screen is black then if you swife the finger on the touchpad the screen will resume with login screen.

Hope this helps. Do post back if the issue persists!

Best regards,                                                          

Ashwin. S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

04-06-2015

United States

10 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

Re: How to enable mouse move to wake Lenovo G50-45 from sleep instead of power button?

2015-04-06, 17:10 PM

Swiping the touchpad does not wake the computer.

The touchpad is working in every other way, however.

I Googled and found this article:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht075745

I therefore looked for the UltraNav under Mouse Properties, but it was missing.

So, I tried to find the right driver. I downloaded and tried installing each of these from the Lenovo site:

Synaptics TouchPad Driver: 0ttp18ww.exe

Synaptics TouchPad Driver: h0ty03ww.exe

Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Driver: 6hgx81ww.exe

...but at the end of each installation, the error message "Synaptics device not found" appeared.

But am I on the right track? Should I be looking for the UltraNav tab and its settings, as discussed in that Lenovo Support article?

What does it mean that "Synaptics device not found" but the touchpad is working (except for waking the computer when sleeping/hibernating/black-screen)?

Many thanks for your help.

Options

2373 Posts

11-07-2014

US

1515 Signins

24041 Page Views

• Views: 24041
  • Message 4 of 10

2015-04-06, 18:05 PM
You may have an Elan touchpad instead of Synaptics. Would suggest getting the Hardware ID from the touchpad and posting it for reference.

Device manager, right click on touchpad, select properties, then in the details tab drop down list to hardware id, then copy and past into response.

Good luck.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Options

5 Posts

04-06-2015

United States

10 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2015-04-06, 18:56 PM

Oddly, I have no "touchpad" in my Device Manager listing (and the touchpad does work, otherwise.)

I have:
Audio inputs and outputs
Batteries
Bluetooth
Computer
Disk drives
Display adapters
DVD/CD-ROM drives
Human Interface Devices
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Imaging devices
Keyboards
Lenovo Vhid Device
Mice and other pointing devices
Monitors
Network adapters
Print queues
Processors
SD host adapters
Security devices
Software devices
Sound, video and game controllers
Storage controllers
System devices
Universal Serial Bus controllers

Options

5 Posts

04-06-2015

United States

10 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2015-04-06, 20:22 PM

I downloaded the "Touchpad Driver (ELAN, Synaptics) for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - Lenovo G40-45, G50-45" from your download page for my laptop model, the G50-45, here:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-45-notebook-lenovo

...and installed it.

"Touchpad" still does not appear in the Device Manager, although "Lenovo Pointing Device" has appeared under "Mice and other pointing devices." 

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Tom

Options

5 Posts

04-06-2015

United States

10 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2015-04-06, 20:35 PM

In case it is helpful, the hardware IDs for the new "Lenovo Pointing Device" are:

ACPI\VEN_SYN&DEV_2B3E
ACPI\SYN2B3E
*SYN2B3E

Options

9 Posts

05-26-2018

GB

5 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 8 of 10

2019-08-29, 3:02 AM

**OLD Q from 2015 with no conclusion / complete answer.  Now being "fully answered" for any continuing G50-45 80E3 (and similar) unit owners (running Win8.1).**

*Note: TITLE Q says "sleep", but post body text says "hibernate".

Distinction & Explanation given below...

SHORTEST ANSWER:  =)

You can't "mouse move" wake from Hibernate.

SHORT ANSWER:

Mouse move / Touchpad swipe / button press CAN wake the system from SLEEP. [Title-Q]
However, the Power Button is _required_ to "wake" the system from HIBERNATION. Mouse move etc can NOT wake the system from Hibernate state. [Body-Q]

DETAILED ANSWER:

***incl. Difference between Hibernate and Sleep.***

The main distinction between Hibernation and Sleep modes is the key reason why a mouse-move, touchpad finger-swipe, or mouse/pad button-press CAN wake a system from SLEEP, but can NOT wake the system from HIBERNATION.

The difference between Hibernate and Sleep also relies on how memory/storage - in RAM &/or the hard drive - works.

SLEEP:

Sleep is a "low-power state", whereby most peripherals which require power are shut down.  (Incl. hard drives, the screen, external devices e.g. powered via USB, system fans, etc.)

This reduced power state is only set AFTER the System Cache, OS state, and any current CPU (incompleted) 'work' is saved to RAM.  Then, the CPU is also powered down ("losing" its data), and the reduced power usage is mainly to preserve the data now stored in RAM, so it can be returned to the CPU (and System Cache) when "awakened" from Sleep.

RAM is "volatile" memory; it requires power in order to "hold" information.  Without power - e.g. power loss or sudden shutdown - any information in RAM is LOST, unless it is otherwise saved elsewhere (before SLEEP and) before the power failure.

So, in SLEEP mode/state, the system still draws some power, in order to keep the data in RAM "alive", until the system is awakened again.

Since a SLEEPing system is still drawing power, it also has the ability to detect input via peripherals, such as the mouse, touchpad, or keyboard.  This allows such devices to "wake" the system.

When the system is triggered to "wake", the CPU is re-powered, the contents stored in RAM are returned to where they were, devices are brought back online, and the user can resume working quite quickly.

HIBERNATE:

The Hibernate "state" is designed primarily for laptops, to make it easy to "resume" work after an extended period away, during which e.g. the user has no access to power (to charge the battery or power the system).  It's basically like a "deeper Sleep".

Unlike Sleep mode, which saves current work to RAM (and draws reduced power to maintain the data held in RAM), Hibernate mode saves current work to the Hard Drive, and this includes the System Cache AND the current contents of RAM.

This is done because, in Hibernation, the system is POWERED DOWN completely; RAM would be _unable_ to retain any data, whereas Hard Drives CAN (of course) hold data without maintenance power.

Magnetic Media (hard drive discs) or Solid State drives are "non-volatile memory", and are physically changed to represent the data they hold & store, so are able to retain data without the need to draw any power.

Since a HIBERNATEing system is, effectively, powered down / OFF, there is no way for the system to detect any peripheral input.  As such, the ONLY way to "wake" a system from Hibernation is necessarily solely by the Power button -- turning it back on.

When the system is triggered to "wake", it effectively goes through the usual "power-on" cycle, with this exception:
Having been in a HIBERNATE state, the system will find a Hibernate FILE on the Hard Drive, which recorded the working state of the System Cache, CPU, and the contents of RAM, made at the time Hibernate was requested.
The Hibernate file's contents are "restored" to the various parts of the system, in order for the user to resume their work.

Necessarily, waking from Hibernation typically takes a little longer than waking from Sleep, since (as we know) RAM is always faster than Magnetic Media storage, AND since Hibernate also stored _more data_ (being the RAM contents) on the hard drive.

HYBRID SLEEP:

There is an additional setting / option, known as "Hybrid Sleep".

Whereas HIBERNATE is designed mainly for laptops, the HYBRID SLEEP option is designed mainly for desktop computers.

Simply put, Hybrid Sleep combines BOTH Sleep and Hibernate.

Working data etc is stored in RAM (Sleep), and all of it (incl RAM) is saved onto the Hard Drive (Hibernate).  This way, if any power failure occurs, while the Sleep-state contents of RAM are "lost", they are still backed up in the Hibernate file, and when the system is turned on after power is restored, work will be resumed via the Hibernate file.

When Hybrid Sleep is activated, setting SLEEP mode will automatically also Hibernate the working data.

Work can be resumed very quickly from RAM, provided there was no interruption in the power supply during SLEEP.

Options

9 Posts

05-26-2018

GB

5 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2019-08-29, 3:09 AM

To respond "most directly" to this post...

Swiping the touchpad can never "wake" the computer from Hibernation; only the Power Button can "wake" from Hibernate.

UltraNav is for Synaptics devices; our G50-45 80E3 (and similar) is typically fitted with an ELAN device.

This will also explain the "Synaptics device not found" error.

The (ELAN) touchpad still works because the installation of the Synaptics drivers does not "overwrite" or remove the ELAN drivers.  The ELAN drivers "find" the ELAN device, and respond to its use; the Synaptics drivers "don't find" a Synaptics device, and report an error.

Options

9 Posts

05-26-2018

GB

5 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2019-08-29, 3:12 AM
The ELAN Smart-pad device comes under:

Mice and other pointing devices
/ Lenovo pointing device

=)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete