cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovoman123
SCSI Port
Views: 265
Message 1 of 8

How to partition a hard drive for a B50-70 for Linux? Any issues with doing this?

Hi

How do I partition a hard drive for a B50-70?

I would like to install Linux and keep Windows 8.1 too.

Will this affect the factory software example: back up hard drive function, OKR?

Any problems associated with partitioning B50-70s?

Is it complusory to have Windows 8.1 on a B50-7- Lenovo notebook?

What would happen if I got rid of the Windows 8.1 OS?

Thanks in advance.

Machine details:

B50-70

Model name: 20384

Windows 8.1

SeniorGuru
Views: 259
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to partition a hard drive for a B50-70 for Linux? Any issues with doing this?

@lenovoman123 wrote:

Hi

Will this affect the factory software example: back up hard drive function, OKR?

Thanks in advance.

Machine details:

B50-70

Windows 8.1

I would strongly suggest making your OKR disks before you attempt to do anything else...  Also - the distro of Linux you chose does make a differnce when you are trying to set it up in "dual boot" mode.  Most of the time I defaut to checking in with the developers of the distro and their forum for help with this subject.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
lenovoman123
SCSI Port
Views: 210
Message 3 of 8

Re: How to partition a hard drive for a B50-70 for Linux? Any issues with doing this?

@CBHedricks wrote:

I would strongly suggest making your OKR disks before you attempt to do anything else... 

Will a 32GB USB stick be enough make a copy of the OKR?

How do I do that?

Is the OKR part of Windows 8.1 or part of BIOS? Where does it reside?

If I clone the hard drive will the OKR be inlcuded?

lenovoman123
SCSI Port
Views: 196
Message 4 of 8

Anyone?
SeniorGuru
Views: 192
Message 5 of 8

I have not seen / heard of a successful use of flash drive for recovery purposes. The software defaults to using Optical Disks when I have used it on my G580.

If your notebook lacks a CD / DVD burner then you may need to contact support directly to discus this option.

As to where it resides? It is a hidden partition on the hard disk drive, usually not accessable.

Cloning the hard drive may not pick up on that hidden partition - it would have to be a bit to bit clone of the entire drive to work.

I would suggest downloading your maintenance manual from the Support site and read up on the recovery process for your specific notebook to be 100%.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
lenovoman123
SCSI Port
Views: 142
Message 6 of 8

@CBHedricks wrote:

@lenovoman123 wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Machine details:

B50-70

Windows 8.1

I would strongly suggest making your OKR disks before you attempt to do anything else...  Also - the distro of Linux you chose does make a differnce when you are trying to set it up in "dual boot" mode.  Most of the time I defaut to checking in with the developers of the distro and their forum for help with this subject.

What should I ask those distro developers at their forum?

lenovoman123
SCSI Port
Views: 141
Message 7 of 8

@CBHedricks wrote:
I have not seen / heard of a successful use of flash drive for recovery purposes. The software defaults to using Optical Disks when I have used it on my G580.

If your notebook lacks a CD / DVD burner then you may need to contact support directly to discus this option.

As to where it resides? It is a hidden partition on the hard disk drive, usually not accessable.

Cloning the hard drive may not pick up on that hidden partition - it would have to be a bit to bit clone of the entire drive to work.

I would suggest downloading your maintenance manual from the Support site and read up on the recovery process for your specific notebook to be 100%.

CB

I have a CD burner.

Bit to bit also picks up deleted files I think?

lenovoman123
SCSI Port
Views: 111
Message 8 of 8

@CBHedricks wrote:

Under Backing up the system  page 23 of the manual says you can use an "external device".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors